Second Skin Audio

Need Help - Vented Enclosure

It says:

# sealed box volume: 0.85-1.75 cubic feet

# ported box volume: 1.25-2.05 cubic feet

So if your current box already has enough space (1.25-2.05 cubes per sub), to go ported, wouldn't it be easier to just figure out the port requirements for one of the "sections", and make a circle port based on that, repeated for each box/pod/section, rather than a whole box build? Especially if you want to get other subs...save the big box build for those.

Regular old PVC (plastic plumbing piping, if it's not called PVC there), will work just fine for ports, and should be cheaper than shipping some actual ports. You can even paint them...and with a heat gun and some practice, you can flare them just like the expensive aeroports.

Do I need 17cubic feet for 4 12" subs or less? Is my port area to small? Trying to get everything built over the weekend as it's the only time I have. Please help someone! If you need any more values for drivers let me know.

Thanks in advanced.

And in case you just want to build a new box for the fun of it. You do not need anything close to 17 cubes for those Pioneer subs. (4) 12" Mayhems for example, would still only need say 12.75 cubes...so 17 cubes is HUGE!

1.65 is Pioneer's "ideal" ported size. So 6.6 cubes for all four (+ or - anything you do inside the box). I assume they accounted for displacement in their numbers.

Nice a few kms from me up here in launnie.

If you want to try for some big SPL numbers I say be different to everyone in Tassie and wall that little machine. With a nice ammount of port area or just a big box with the subs on top facing back slightly and port facing the hatch on a slight upwards angle. ;-) worked for me to get my 148.7 from 2 type S 10's a few years back.

Systems:

Fun Car:

Deck: Alpine CDA-9887

Front sounds: Alpine SPR-175A x2

Front power: RF T400.2 Benched at 265x2 rms @ 2ohm

Subs: RF T1 10 dual 4 Ohm x1

Sub power: RF R500.1

Box yet to be built.

All in a Mazda 323 Hatch in the cargo area only.

Daily hack:

Deck: Alpine CDA-9886

Front sounds: RF T152 5.25" coax x2

Front power: RF Power T400.2

Subs: Alpine SWR-1021d x4

Sub power: RF Power T20001

4.59cuft net 56" of port tuned to 32hz.

Work ute

Deck: Alpine iDA-X303

Speakers front: Stock

Speakers rear: None

Subs: Alpine type S SWS-1040

Amp: Alpine MRV-T320 x1 for woofer.

Box 1.42 cuft 39hz hidden under tray in blow thru design.

New ute to be much different.