Second Skin Audio

sub popping?!?

well i put my 10's in my truck and there 500rms each and im giving them 500rms each with little to no voltage drop and when i turn the subs up one of them start popping, i know it aint the tincels cause i zip tied them out of the way, maby its the speaker wire hitting it i unno

but could it be to tight of gap in the former and its hitting the sides?

and why aint it loud?

i got them setting on the end of the box with subs faceing to the passanger side and i get little to no output from them but there moveing like hell in the box, i might of got a wire phased out somewhere but each wire is pos to pos and neg to neg so i unno why its doing this, when the truck is setting without it running it gets decently loud or so and hits lows like hell but i unno why its not loud while driveing, prolly not compressing the waves like a reg box will

im gunna build a downfire box for the 2 so it should sound better

here's a link to my system 99 toyota tacoma , 2 mtx 8000 1504's in a sealed downfire , 1000w memphis amp

here's a link to my other system my 90 geo prizm test car

heres a thread i got of new songs u can dl that are legal = Some Good Bangage/you Can Dl These Free And Legit

redblob.gifbouncing%20blob.gif2yooj7m.pngmodel14.gif

subs are soundstream vgw-10's in a box thats like 30w, 12 or 14h, and about 13 or 14d and devided too

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_5458_Soundstream+VGW-10.html

i unno wtf is wrong with it cause i had it hooked up to my house stereo that does about 300rms or so and it went to damn nere peak excursion and never bottomed out and never made a popping sound ecept for the tinsel lead wires hitting the cone were it attaches to the surround

i dont think its the subs cause i played some dj billy e and they went to full excursion and sounded good but i think its the box

im gunna take out the 10's and run em free air and see if it still makes the noise and see whats up with it

im going to build a sealed downfire box for em once i get this figured out, should come out pretty clean i think once im done, gunna have a blue led strip under the box to light it up when amp comes on and what knot, should wang non the less, i got to keep enough room for some groceries and a car seat and still have room for bass so im doing the best i can now

i got a small sealed box i can put 1 10 in while i build my box tho for time being, how would a 500rms sub like 800rms on low gain?

the box is one of those walmart build it yourself single 10 box that im going to put it in and my 12'' rockford punch hx2 didn't like it so we'll see how that turns out

here's a link to my system 99 toyota tacoma , 2 mtx 8000 1504's in a sealed downfire , 1000w memphis amp

heres a thread i got of new songs u can dl that are legal = Some Good Bangage/you Can Dl These Free And Legit

this might not be it but i got a popping sound from a 12 once because it wasnt screwed in all the way (to the box) thought i blew it lol then i screwed it down and it went away. but your right it might be the box. ground issue? never know..

Steve I don't know why but everytime I see your new paint I want a Dr. Pepper...... is this normal?

heres an analogy for you. running a high power stereo without a fuse is like having unprotected sex with that hot chick at the bar with the sketchy sexual history. Sure you may be fine and nothing happens but that one time something does happen you're fucked.

i dont want woofer broke like bass sound clip clip and voice coil overheat

2 sa12s, saz1500 build log http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/91183-chapo123s-sundown-build-log/page__gopid__1250604entry1250604

1j1450.png

i unno, the box has screw terminals for the speaker wire and comeing out of my amp it goes to the bottom sub and then from there to the top sub but the bottom sub dont make a popping sound but the top does, i unno, sounds like a vc rub tho, but if u ever tap on the side of a cone with a tight gapped former it makes a noise, well thats what it sounds like so maby the vc aint moveing in a linear motion i dont think

i unno when i get some spare time i will unhook each sub and hook just 1 at a time to the amp and see what it sounds like and if the sub still does it im going to take that one sub out of the box n see what the issue is cause it gets annoying as hell, and once i get it fixed im going to get the single 10 box i got and just run 1 10 for now till i get a box built so it will look alot cleaner and should be louder too

im going to build the box to my max measurements i can do and add some to the hight to compensate for airspace and might try and do a amp rack to clean it up a bit, but should wang once done

gunna be double baffle downfire so i can save on hight for sub excursion issues, gunna be carpeted to match with maby a white fleckstone finish on the baffle to work with the blue led strip so u can see the subs

ok this is weird as shit

i took the sub out of the box that was makeing a popping sound and ran it free air and it went to full excursion or as far as i wanted to push it with out makeing any noise at all but when i put it in the box it does it, and i figured out that the way the spider venting is on this sub that its forcing the air against the vc and i guess makeing it hit the former i unno, but when i invert it it gets louder and makes no noise

but then again when i had the bottom sub wired up and the top it would throw my amp into protect when i would turn it up loud and i had little to no voltage drop with it so i dont think that was it, i had amp mounted to the box and i thought that might be it but i took amp off the box and it still did it and my amp is 1ohm stable so i dont think that was it either but it sounded like it did with my 15's in the truck but not nere as loud tho

so would the cone hitting the former make it go into protect?

nah box is air tight from 3/4 mdf

but i kinda want to kno why the hell my amp kept going into protect when i would turn it up but it wouldn't befor, i unno

but these 10's got down, now i want to run em in a downfire but they like to be ran inverted for some reason but when i had that one inverted and the other regular with phasing correct it got loud and low about as loud as my 15's really but when i started messing around with adjustments once i would turn the radio up it would go str8 to protect and the amp is 1ohm stable with 2 d4 subs so i dunno why it would do this, has never done it befor unless it was my power wire issues i had from this monster cable shit i got, everytime i would move the amp the wire would come out of the terminals and touch each other but not enough to blow a fuse tho, that could have been happening to cause the protect issues

i'm going to wire the subs up and leave them in the bed of my truck and see if it goes into protect and if not then i will wire it up in cab and see what happens cause them 10's wangin :)

but i unno how i would do a sealed inverted downfire box and make it fit, or maby i wouldn't hear the popping sound when there inverted

it dont do it inverted tho? and is louder too lol

i somewhat got the popping problem fixed for time being but i dont kno if the subs vc is out of alignment and hitting the former makeing it throw the amp into protect while its in the box, it never went into protect with the subs regular but with one inverted and the other regular with it wired correct it goes into protect, i just want some stuff to look for to check cause i dont have much time to work on my truck when i do