Sundown Audio

Amp cutting out

toylocost

Amp is a Pioneer Premier GM-7150M and the sub is a Pioneer Champion Series TS-W308D4.

The sub is dual 4 ohm and we are running the amp at 2ohms. Its okay for that amp to do 2ohm.

I was not in the car when the problem started it but here is what I got from it. Stereo was up about as far as he wanted to push it he smelled "something similar to burning fiberglass" then the sub slowly faded away. He says he thought the smell was something like the sub breaking in. Power light on the amp was gone. Ended up replacing both fuses in the amp, main 4ga fuse did not break. Amp turns back on now but will cut out for a few seconds 2-4, then turn back on for another few seconds 3-5 maybe. Temperature or volume doesnt seem to matter it does it all the time. I'm thinking the amp is fried.

Any thoughts?

BTW amp was bought used sub was bought new in april/may. Been running since late may.

99 4runner - So far: Alpine PDX4.100 & AQ1200D. Needz speekrz yo.

unhook the sub and see if the amp acts the same. could be a fried coil on the sub. if it still does it with the sub unhooked then it could be the amp. check all wires make sure grounds are good but its proly the sub or amp

2015 silverado crew cab

nothing atm but soon...

To check ohm load on the VCs I just use the meter and go + and - and see what the resistance is?

yes with a DMM or something that reads ohms, check your grounds tho, cuz the whole ride to carlisle my amp kept cutting out on me, turned out to be when my friend sat a certain way on the seat the metal from the seat hit where it was grounded so it shut my amp off

Legal TL scores145.6 on the dash sealed up in the low 40hz area with the port out145.5 on the dash sealed up @30hz with the port inless then 1k clamped on a 3.5k!

Why would you EVER WANT flex?
huh?...flex is what can make the lows lower and more air being pushed correct?
jeff_zps9bc81ace.jpg

me_zps0fb5a5b4.jpgMy FeedbackJeep-BuildlogPT LOSER buildlog

OK so we got the sub pulled and heres what we found.

1st VC (supposed to be 4ohm)

DSCF0136Large.jpg

2nd VC

DSCF0137Large.jpg

So something is fucked up. Assuming I get another sub, whats to say this wont happen again. I don't know what the original problem was but this is the aftermath.

He also said he thinks he bottomed it out pushing it too hard once. Idk if that would have anything to do with this though.

99 4runner - So far: Alpine PDX4.100 & AQ1200D. Needz speekrz yo.

OK so we got the sub pulled and heres what we found.

*snip*

So something is fucked up. Assuming I get another sub, whats to say this wont happen again. I don't know what the original problem was but this is the aftermath.

He also said he thinks he bottomed it out pushing it too hard once. Idk if that would have anything to do with this though.

Yeah that sub looks gone. My buddy blew his 2 subs and one of them read 0 on one VC and like 1.x when it was dual 2 ohm.

Rest In Peace mother.

January 22, 1955 - February 14, 2013

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/user/35351-megrch/