Is audacity good enough to prevent clipping?

If I make sure the song never hits the red line (indicating clipping) is that good enough?

Or is it a start at least?

Several songs I was playing loud were clipping in audacity.

I have turned the DB down a bit, and boosted the bass frequency 5db on each.

Does this sound ok to do?

i suck men dry...email me for details

If a song is clipping before you even touched it, you cannot remove clipping. It's virtually impossible

What if the clipping stops when I put the gain in audacity a little lower?

Because the only thing I ever see is the song getting too loud and going passed the bars and then they turn red.

Even if you don't see red bars, zoom in and you will see squared off waves at the peaks. Trust me.

Exactly what do I do?

And what causes clipping from songs?

Just a question, since im pretty new to the whole "clipping songs" age aka: ipod, mp3 players... Can a clipped song really damage your system if your system isn't clipping? If that makes any sense... I've had songs that i've downloaded, and sounded different/crappy, but never hurt my system before... Just curious...

Also wondering this.

I mean, if you don't notice it, how can it be bad?

What causes it? Dumbass dj's and mastering guys. Is it harmful? Depends on the severity and duration of the clipping. Example, Gucci mane swing my door will most likely cause some sort of damage

What causes it? Dumbass dj's and mastering guys. Is it harmful? Depends on the severity and duration of the clipping. Example, Gucci mane swing my door will most likely cause some sort of damage

wow dude...now I've NEVER had a song that bad. Even at full volume, I've only ever heard the 2-ways distort a little bit, and then I turned the volume down.

But I'm still unsure of what you were talking about in audacity...

Also, the stock mids I had in the car and the powered ported 6" subwoofer I have for my computer have taken years of abuse and are still going strong...does clipping only hurt bigger size woofers on high powered amps?

wow dude...now I've NEVER had a song that bad. Even at full volume, I've only ever heard the 2-ways distort a little bit, and then I turned the volume down.

But I'm still unsure of what you were talking about in audacity...

Also, the stock mids I had in the car and the powered ported 6" subwoofer I have for my computer have taken years of abuse and are still going strong...does clipping only hurt bigger size woofers on high powered amps?

yes you can blow your speakers. that swing my door is the poster child of clipping. even if there are red bars or not in audacity, things can still clip. hell, let me throw up an example

20hz tone, 1st bar is the one i generated at 100% volume, no clipping. 2nd bar is the same 20hz tone, generated at 100% volume, and boosted 6db. i then saved that 20hz tone and reopened it in audacity, and lowered it by 3db, and the result is shown in the picture. proof of how you cannot just lower the volume and have the clipping magically dissapear

j1iyK.jpg

Archived