Sundown Audio

Fried Amp/amp Repair

doughboi916

ok, it was weird, got a new amp for my cuz, it was a Lightning Audio 1001d, pretty nice amp, RF made it, it was installed in a 06 300c with a stock navi unit, i just used a loc on the rear channels, the battery's already in the trunk so wiring was a breeze, it was strapped to a 15in bl, it pounded, the next morning i was on the way to the house in his car playing music and i smell something funny, the amp got hot, i pulled out the remote and it started smoking,?????? i know i installed everything rite, amps 1ohm stable and i wired the sub rite, gain was a little hight, then i checked the battery and see the battery to ground is only like 10ga wire. could this be why i fried my amp? the (+) side is 2ga,

also ive been doing research, i oped up the amp and everything looks fine(smell like a!!) and see the FETs are the only burned guts, i found out i can get them for 2-3bucks a pop, if i soldered new ones on will my amp come back to life? only 4 are fried, will i have to replace any others?

ok, it was weird, got a new amp for my cuz, it was a Lightning Audio 1001d, pretty nice amp, RF made it, it was installed in a 06 300c with a stock navi unit, i just used a loc on the rear channels, the battery's already in the trunk so wiring was a breeze, it was strapped to a 15in bl, it pounded, the next morning i was on the way to the house in his car playing music and i smell something funny, the amp got hot, i pulled out the remote and it started smoking,?????? i know i installed everything rite, amps 1ohm stable and i wired the sub rite, gain was a little hight, then i checked the battery and see the battery to ground is only like 10ga wire. could this be why i fried my amp? the (+) side is 2ga,

also ive been doing research, i oped up the amp and everything looks fine(smell like a!!) and see the FETs are the only burned guts, i found out i can get them for 2-3bucks a pop, if i soldered new ones on will my amp come back to life? only 4 are fried, will i have to replace any others?

dunno if it could be the problem but damn, why 10ga for ground? as far as i kno, grownd should be equal to or a lil thicker than the hot ( + ) wire.

better ground = less heat

as for the FET's, i would give it a try, just 3 bucks each, hell yea. but before installing the FET's, be 110% they will be placed correctly.

other option would be to hope u didnt voided the waranty by opening the amp :o

• '02 Jetta
  • (1) Fi Btl 18 Inch Sub
  • Big box FTW!
  • Installed the HU.. finally...
  • Look for a H.O. Alt
    yea... it bangs.. but still need some few things

0000002102154.gif

0001897780.gif

00000000004987.gif

Archived