ok so my friend scrapped his old car and he had about 15 foot of 5g wire would i be able to run the big 3 on a stock alternator? or do u have to have 1/0 and a aftermarket alt.

18" Sundown Zv4 D2
JL 1000/1 V1
XS Power D3200

how big is your alternator? 5 gauge can work (what brand is it by the way?) but you're probably going to be reaching the limits of what that wire can handle if the alternator is large enough. and no you do not need an aftermarket alt to do the big 3. i have a stock 70 amp with a 1/0 big three. works awesome.

im pretty sure its a stock 90a alternator

edit: make that 105a alt

edit2: and idk the brand im at school ill check when i get home.

Edited by HotRodHam

18" Sundown Zv4 D2
JL 1000/1 V1
XS Power D3200

ok so my friend scrapped his old car and he had about 15 foot of 5g wire would i be able to run the big 3 on a stock alternator? or do u have to have 1/0 and a aftermarket alt.

you can do it with stock alt but this is you really want biggest wire you can ideal 1/0, i myself only have 2 gauge with stock alt cuz thats biggest wire i could get at the time. but really anything bigger then the stock wire will help. bigger wire just gives better flow, kinda like your graden hose :) smaller hose more pressure you need to get the water thru bigger hose easier it is to get the same amount of water thru.

hope that kind gives you an idea of what it does

Edited by LordArcane

you can do it with stock alt but this is you really want biggest wire you can ideal 1/0, i myself only have 2 gauge with stock alt cuz thats biggest wire i could get at the time. but really anything bigger then the stock wire will help. bigger wire just gives better flow, kinda like your graden hose :) smaller hose more pressure you need to get the water thru bigger hose easier it is to get the same amount of water thru.

yea it made sence, but im kinda using wat i have because i love car audio but i have very little money to work with.

18" Sundown Zv4 D2
JL 1000/1 V1
XS Power D3200

yea it made sence, but im kinda using wat i have because i love car audio but i have very little money to work with.

i can understand, thats why i just got some 2gauge welding wire from work. its the wire u got is bigger then your stock wire then it will help. hell i'm sure even if its same size i'm going to guess it will help having to runs instead of 1 since you see everyone running multi runs of 1/0 thats something you would need to double check:) or someone might chime in and let us both know

i wouldnt use 5 gauge to be honest, especially if its some off brand piece of shit thats really 8 gauge or something. thats cutting it pretty close to the wire's max handling. IMO you would be much better off using 1/0 gauge. save that wire for a project or something.

i wouldnt use 5 gauge to be honest, especially if its some off brand piece of shit thats really 8 gauge or something. thats cutting it pretty close to the wire's max handling. IMO you would be much better off using 1/0 gauge. save that wire for a project or something.

its almost twice as thick as the wire running in and out of my alt now

18" Sundown Zv4 D2
JL 1000/1 V1
XS Power D3200

its almost twice as thick as the wire running in and out of my alt now

...mmkay? i have 1/0 gauge and my stock wire is like 8 gauge. 5 gauge can handle like 110 amps or so and your alternator is 105 amps. you can do it if you want i dont care, but im recommending that you buy 0 from knukonceptz.