How to make a custom bumper??

As mentioned, this is a huge undertaking. Not just for someone who hasn't ever messed with fiberglass before, but even for some more seasoned fiberglassers as well.

For future reference, don't do a wood skeleton and material wrap for the shape. It could end up getting in your way more than anything.

Buy the floral foam blocks at Micheals or some other similar place. They come in packages of 6 - 8 and cost like $4 per package. Obviously, you will need many packages.

Tape off the car and glue the blocks to the tape and then to each other till you get the surface are you need. Then start carving and sanding the blocks to the shape you want. A hacksaw blade or drywall saw is what I use. Also some 24 - 36 grit paper on a block for shaping.

If you trim out too much or change plans, just glue another piece of block in and shape it.

Once you have the shape finalized, start glassing the mat onit.About 10 layers or more depending on the weight of the mat used.

Once done, pull from car and carve the foam outta the back and your good to start making mounting brackets.

This is not for the faint of heart.

normal_EPICENTERDESIGNS_128.gif

Building The Best.....Repairing The Rest

The bitter after-taste of a poor quality job will last far longer

than the sweetness of that cheap price!

I knew Tim did something similar to his Cavalier. He built off his existing with a slightly different method.

Figure out what works best for you.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/15396-1988-cavalierwidebody-buildone-piece-flip-ip-front-clipa-long-drawn-out-build/

normal_EPICENTERDESIGNS_128.gif

Building The Best.....Repairing The Rest

The bitter after-taste of a poor quality job will last far longer

than the sweetness of that cheap price!

if u have never glassed youre going to fail simple as that,i've had my fails too with fibeglassing.. but although it sounds easy but life has its downs, when a good idea+fiberglass come to mind.............just walk away......

BUILDLOG

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...showtopic=61862

"98crewcab"Never a POS....just always "a work in progress" lol that's how we roll bitches!!!

Your a lowlife kid. I bet your mother wants to kill herself for not swallowing your ass.

Archived