dangerick18 Posted January 31, 2011 Report Posted January 31, 2011 UPDATE: Fixed issue by replacing crossover in the left component set. =) =) =) Hi! I have a pair of SPS-600c (6.5 alpine component set) that I originally used in my car which came with a stock infinity system running @ 2ohms which included a factory amp with built-in crossovers. I ended up buying a second set which is lying around after suspecting a bad speaker. The problem I'm still having, and even though it improved with fixing an RCA issue, is the left speaker sounds a lot quieter than the one on the right. I checked phase, resistance, all the connections, everything possible almost. The only thing that could contribute in terms of my setup is possibly the right speaker wire is run along the right side of the car next to the 4ga. power wire. When I first installed the speaker and wired it to the passive crossover /w the tweeter, it wouldn't work (since the factory amp crossover was not sending higher frequencies there). So I kept my stock tweeter and played it temporarily for about a month until I removed the factory amp and put the alpine tweeter in the stock location. I read in the manual that a fault could have been developed in the product if the crossover was not connected. Anyways.. Things were working okay until 6 months ago when the right speaker started dying on me so I replaced it with *one* of a *brand new* set of SPS-600c's, and it worked alright. But I never replaced the one on the left. After adding a 4-channel it became way more apparent that the one on the left was playing mids at a lower volume than everything else. Is it possible that the speaker got damaged from how I wired it at the time? Or can the crossover go bad from that? Additionally can tweeters get damaged in the same way? I've gone through the process of elimination with my whole setup in the car itself, but now I'm going to be testing all of my speakers/crossovers/tweeters very soon with a homemade boombox /w a headunit, but I thought I'd ask in the meanwhile.
dangerick18 Posted January 31, 2011 Author Report Posted January 31, 2011 One more thing, if I place a set of speakers face down for a couple days can the surround get dented and spider stretched and sound different? I did that when I soldered wiring onto the terminals directly. The next time I solder the terminals I'm gonna be smart enough to screw on speaker grills first.
dangerick18 Posted February 5, 2011 Author Report Posted February 5, 2011 So I replaced the crossover of the left component set and everything is working just fine . Of course that was the last thing I checked, but it's A-Okay.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.