Sonic Electronix

Alpine Fans.the 9887 Is In And Imprinted

tomorrow. I am giving this stuff a go. The 9887 will be here in the morning....

Posted Image

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser Voo Doo Blue

my upgrades and "build" thread.

My Kulicki Box Build

-Alpine 9887 head unit, KTX-100EQ imprint-( sound quality for dummies! ). - MB Quartz 3.5" in back pillars

-Sundown Audio SAX100.4 - JL Audio 3 way 6.5" component set XR653-CSi ( doors and dash )

-JL Audio 2 way Component set XR650CSi

- Alpine MRD - M1005 - Alpine Type - R 12" subs -- 2 - 12" s in a Pete kulicki designed box.

-Alpine High speed Ipod cable, and KCA-SC100 with Sirius sat. radio

-All wiring is Stinger 12 gauge and HPM Level 3 RCAs, KnuKonceptz Kolossus Power and ground and Big done in 1/0,

-270 sq. ft. of Damplifier Pro, 36 sq. ft. of Overkill Pro, 6 full sheets of Luxury Liner, and a gallon of spectrum-

-2 Powermaster D680 Powercells in back

FINALLY !!! I GOT IT METERED ON THE TERMLAB !!! I did a 140.2 at 42 hertz.

Shoehorn, BFH, forklift,duct tape and some zip ties

cool!!! i'm in the process of purchasing my full Alpine system ..

IVA-D106

KCE-422i

(4) SPS-17C2

KCE-350BT

:)

~Matthew

1998 Toyota Camry XLE V6 3L

(1) ScyTek Astra 4000RS-2W-1 2-Way Remote Start Alarm

with Shock and Proximity

(1) 20% Tint All Around (Gately Audio)

(1) 250 Amperage HO Alternator

(1) Big 3 Done In 1/0

(2) Kinetik HC2400 Power Cell

(1) Alpine IVA-D106 Receiver

(1) Peripheral Video Bypass Device

(4) Alpine SPS-17C2 Speakers

(1) Alpine KCE-422i iPod Control Interface

(4) Sheets Dynamat Extreme; for speakers

(1) 10 Square Feet Hushmat (Trunk & Rear Deck)

(4) DC Audio Level 4 15" D2 Subwoofer w/ Level 5 Coils

(1) Wall Built By David, Tuned to 32 Hz

(1) Rockford Fosgate T40001bd Amplifier

(1) Stinger 1/0 Wiring (2 runs of + 2 runs of -)

(1) Stinger Volt Meter

Yeah, cool.... I am dying to see what all the hype is over the imprint kit. I have scowered and searched all over the net, and prolly 98% of the reviews gave it great reports after tuning. As soon as ups rings the bell I will get started. I am not leaving the house till they get here !!! :)

My Kulicki Box Build

-Alpine 9887 head unit, KTX-100EQ imprint-( sound quality for dummies! ). - MB Quartz 3.5" in back pillars

-Sundown Audio SAX100.4 - JL Audio 3 way 6.5" component set XR653-CSi ( doors and dash )

- Alpine MRD - M1005 - Alpine Type - R 12" subs -- 2 - 12" s in a Pete kulicki designed box.

-All wiring is Stinger 12 gauge and HPM Level 3 RCAs, KnuKonceptz Kolossus Power and ground and Big done in 1/0,

-270 sq. ft. of Damplifier Pro, 36 sq. ft. of Overkill Pro, 6 full sheets of Luxury Liner, and a gallon of spectrum-

STILL waiting the damn u.p.s. guy...... any other day he would been thru here by 11 a.m. It's now 6 p.m.

My Kulicki Box Build

As I said above, the damn thing got here really late. I had already taken out my kenwood deck, and my kenwood sirius stuff.... waiting and waiting. Till well after dark. I got it all wired up, and I am gonna drop it in first thing in the morning. Then I am gonna hook the imprint up and report back...

Also, In my build thread, I showed that I had taped down my RCAs to the floor before putting in the luxury liner. The alpine deck does not have RCA pigtails like the Kenwood deck does, so I gotta pull a seat and the console out to pull them loose to give me another 6-8 inches of room for them o reach the deck. I had collected all the slack in the rear to make sure I had all I could to work with when it came time to hook up my amps. thats gonna add a good hour to the install , and it is also the sole reason I didn't get out there tonight and install it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The little foam rubber strip you see in the pocket is to keep the ipod from working its way out from the vibrations, and falling into my sweet tea. ( I learned the hard way )

Posted Image

Posted Image

My Kulicki Box Build

Alright I got it installed and imprinted. FUCKIN SWEET :) :)

The imprint program kinda walks you thru the whole process and makes it damn near idiot proof to tune. The sound is crisp, well balanced and dead centered in the vehicle. I can't say enough good things about this deck.... The high speed ipod cable works flawlessly. Hell, before I even did the imprint I could tell a few things right out the box that made it better than the Kenwood XXV-01D that I took out. ( Remember that deck was the pinnacle of kenwood technology in 2005 and all the decks they build today are based on its operating system and sound processor. ) first, what little ground noise I had before was gone , no trace of it at all. Second the Alpine deck just sounded louder and cleaner with no tuning or adjustments at all. not to mention, It matches the blue interior accents from the factory and seems more simple to operate, and the screen is easier to see and read in the daytime.

About the imprint, I read this thread , and this threadabout the 9887 and the imprint kit ( warning 21 pages long ) and what this guy thought about it. This thread is what made me decide to make the purchase and give it a spin. I didn't listen though, and I also ignored the little slip of paper that came with the imprint that said to adjust the gains on my sub amp , because it will make them really quiet after the imprint gets done programing th head unit. I really need to run it again, with the gain way down, so that afterwards I can turn it back to its normal level to enjoy the stuff like " bass , I love you " or bass mechaniks. Having said that, the imprint is set up to achieve sound quality, and when it is done it allows no tweaking beyond a few very basic bass , treble, and sub level, L-R, and F-R faders. And really, I don't see a need to make any changes beyond retuning with the amp gains changed. It is sharp, it gives real surround sound feeling on the songs that are mixed for it, and it is clean with fantastic time correction. I hear stuff that I didn't really notice before, Especially on electronic or techno type music, and stuff that has really complex multi instrument bands that just give you alot to listen to during a song. Nothing gets lost in the imprint. you hear it all. It is a awesome piece of technology, and I say everyone get one. Well, everyone who doesn't wanna adjust EQ settings all the time and wants to tune more than just listen to music. I have read a few reviews where some of the more professional guys have said the could probably get it pretty close , but it would take several sessions over a few weeks and constant trial and error. It is plug and play, and when its done, that is it. no more trying to get it just right. It just is. :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thats it for now....

My Kulicki Box Build

Alright. I went out there this morning and did a couple of little tweaks and ran the imprint again. First, I lowered the gain down considerably on my alpine sub woofer amp, and then I lowered both channels on the sundown just a tiny bit. Then I set all four crossover boxes for the JL comps to +1.5db for the tweeters , they all have a built in switch to adjust on the fly. Afterwards I ran the imprint setup, and after calibration I went back and set the alpine amp back where I had it before I put this deck in, and I lowered the tweeter settings back down to -1.5db on the crossover boxes. I also turned the fader setting to 1 notch towards the rear. I left the sundown as it was. This made it perfect. The imprint ( from what I read and experienced ) yesterday , seems to really tone the bass down from the subs, and sends it into the full range ( comps in my case ), and it really likes for you to hear all the treble you can stand. By "tricking it" into thinking that I had very little sub output and a whole bunch of high frequency power for the test and then going back and correcting the it afterwards, I think I have it right where I want it. The installers at my local audio shop seem to agree. It is super clean and full, and it is even more so today FUCKIN SWEET !!!!!! I could have never got it this good. One of the best things is the "ssssss" you hear from the tweeters in most systems is gone, and the bass sounds really tight and at the same time, kinda boomy if that is how it was meant to heard in a particular song. This shit rocks.

ALPINE FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Kulicki Box Build

I've been totally on the fence about getting the imprint due to what I hear about it "stealing" the bass and whatnot but your methodology for tuning it along with the amp gains seems to allay most of that...

question though: I've been told that once you run it, it enable the bass and treble settings but I've also heard it removes the sub level option you have before running it...is that true or do you still have the sub level option somewhere to turn up the subs a little on the fly? I suppose one could always just run the bass knob from the amp and use that though...

also, did you purchase the imprint kit for $200 or jsut do the rental from crutchfield? I'd like to own, but $200 is alot for what could be a one and done deal BUT I know I'll want to run it again whenever something gets replaced...

Archived