Sonic Electronix

after you are done setting all the gain and everything. is it going to hurt if you start miss with the stereo EQ ? also when you start adding crossover and bass enhancers do u have to o-scope for that to? or can u just add it right up to it. after u done the o-scope for cliping on the amp and the deck.

-thanks

chriz

you will have to reset the amp if you change other settings i have tried to do the same thing and then i got curious as to what the signal looked like and it was clipped to shit so i would reset the gains when you add or increase anything from the preouts

Roseville, CA

you will have to reset the amp if you change other settings i have tried to do the same thing and then i got curious as to what the signal looked like and it was clipped to shit so i would reset the gains when you add or increase anything from the preouts

so other words after i do everything on the deck (EQ flat) clipping.

i have to redo after i start messing with the EQ setting right? and check for clipping

and after the deck i go to the bass enhancers. or crossover. check for clip

then check the amp for clipping?

i just order my O-scope and yea havent resived it yet.

i figure i'll ask question before i just try hands on.

If you dont want your eq set at flat when you play your music then put your eq where you want them and then set your gain with the scope just below clipping. HU eq settings obviously change the input signal so if you set them flat just below clipping and then afterwards say set your bass to +5 you are for sure clipping.

yeah pretty much its a pain at first but once you get used to doing it its not a big deal but once your done you will have piece of mind knowing all your shiet is set correct

This man speaks the truth.. Its a great feeling to KNOW you arent clipping ;)

after you are done setting all the gain and everything. is it going to hurt if you start miss with the stereo EQ ? also when you start adding crossover and bass enhancers do u have to o-scope for that to? or can u just add it right up to it. after u done the o-scope for cliping on the amp and the deck.

-thanks

chriz

I didn't read any of the other post yet.

This is what I do when I set up a system with an O-Scope.

1st-Head unit:

I make sure the head unit(H/U) is set to perfectly flat. No signal processing at all. Everything totally shut off (Accept the H/U its self). EQs set to flat and built in crossovers turned off or maxed out if they are not defeatable.

Then hook the RCA outputs from the H/U to the O-Scope to find what volume number you can go up to before it starts to clip and remember what that number is as you will use that volume number to do all your gain matching.

2nd-Amps:

Turn the gains all the way down on all amps. Bass boost too and turn the crossovers off or in the case of a sub amp without a defeatable crossover turn it all the way up. (they usually max out at 250 hertz on alot of Class D amps and shut off the infrasonic or subsonic filter.

If you are going to use a dash mounted bass knob with your amp I suggest plugging it in and turning it all the way down before you set your gains on your sub amps.

I noticed when I set my gains on my RF BD1500's the signal was perfect but as soon as I plugged in my Punch Bass (with it turned all the way down) it added a few tenths witch started a soft clipping comming out of the amp, so I left it hooked up and turned it down and reset my gains and all was good.

Just a little advice.

3rd- and this is how it works best for me no matter what amp I'm tunning (subs,mids, or tweets). Leave all amps unloaded and use a 50 hertz test tone recorded at 0 DB level and make sure no speakers are hooked up to them when hooking the O-scope up to the amps speaker terminals to set the gains.

Why do I do it like that?

On my sub amps it leaves me some leeway to use a bass boost without causeing excessive distortion or on the bass frequency control on almost all radios gives me room to adjust it up some so its not distorting as soon as I turn it up.

Remember if you use a 0 DB recording, that gives you adjustments up to 5% distortion without your bass sounding real shitty.

As far as mids and tweets go I still use a 50 hertz 0 DB test tone for the same reason it gives you a little leeway if you have an EQ and my results from useing a 0 DB 1,000hertz test tone to set my mid,tweet gains has not turned out to favorable and it seemed like I lost any room to adjust any frequencies up on my tweets without negative results.

If I set my Sundown SAX-100.2 at 50 hertz and get the gain perfect it may read 55.2 volts bridged. Then leaving everything hooked up I change the track to 1,000 Hertz and the voltage drops to 44.3 and gives me the room to adjust an EQ with minimal chances of running into clipping.

I did set it at 1,000 hertz one time but I couldn't really adjust anything, everything I touched made them sound worse.

I might not be makeing any sense so I'm stopping I have been typing for 4 hours. Sorry for the confusion if I screwed up my own post.

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Terryswork001.png

Just use a test tone disc that is recorded at 0db and that should leave you enough play in the clean voltage area to use your EQing without running into clipping very badly.

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Terryswork001.png

im kindda gettin what your are saying.. basicly set everything to flat.

test with a 50hz tone 0db.

check clipping.

start with

1 stereo

2 amps.

then after all done.. i can play with the eq with 5% before to clip?

but still kind of scatchy with bass enhancers or crossovers.

do i check for clipping on it to after the stereo. for example.

1 stereo

2 bass enhancers

then

3 amps

thanks chris.

also so a 50hz tune with 0db

is good for testing mids and highs.

and subs right?

PS---

my system

1 RF T2000.1bd with Fi BL 15"

1 Crossfire amp for mids and highs