im 20yrs old and moving into my own house in a month or so and was thinking about maybe getting a guard dog for inside the house. i live in miami FL and around here its pretty easy to find dobermans, german sheperds, american bulldogs and rottweilers. does any1 have any of these dogs? of so can you help me decide...

Akita ftw

lol arent those show dogs?

Tell it that its ugly and watch it maul you to death. Just because it won best in show 7 consecutive years does not make it strictly a show dog. I had one and while being attacked by two dogs it broke through my window, ran through an electric fence, and saved my life

Akita ftw

Tell it that its ugly and watch it maul you to death. Just because it won best in show 7 consecutive years does not make it strictly a show dog. I had one and while being attacked by two dogs it broke through my window, ran through an electric fence, and saved my life

wow! i just heard that they were show dogs i never new that they could be so protective, thats awesome tho man great dog....they seem expensive tho lol

Akita ftw

wow! i just heard that they were show dogs i never new that they could be so protective, thats awesome tho man great dog....they seem expensive tho lol

Yeah they can be pretty expensive but that goes for all dogs. That dog was very protective of me and after those two dogs attacked me it never trusted another dog even near our house. Unfortunately they are very smart too so she even let herself out the front door and almost killed a 120 pound black lab. Only thing about owning a bigger dog is the health issues

I have an anatolian shepherd which are mainly used to guard flocks of sheep or cattle but he is just a watch dog for my family. He is about 3 inches shorter than a great dane and right about 110 lbs but he is only 10 months old. He will get to about 150lbs but even though he is a puppy he is an excellent watch dog. He lets us know when someone is coming up to the house and is not afraid to show some teeth to strangers.

I have an anatolian shepherd which are mainly used to guard flocks of sheep or cattle but he is just a watch dog for my family. He is about 3 inches shorter than a great dane and right about 110 lbs but he is only 10 months old. He will get to about 150lbs but even though he is a puppy he is an excellent watch dog. He lets us know when someone is coming up to the house and is not afraid to show some teeth to strangers.

Pics or he doesnt exist.....LOL....on a serious note post up some picsI love dog pics especially huge dogs.....friend of mine has a pup shepherd that is getting bigger every day ....probably about the same age as yours and he is a good looking dog....

As for the OP a dog is great.....the only things you need to keep in mind are that if you are going to be living alone are you going to be around enough to provide the dog with the attention that it needs?? i know when i was 20 i was barely ever home and then when i moved out into my own house the only thing i did was sleep and get laid at my house LMAO.....I have had dogs all my life and when i moved out of my parents house i missed my Chocolate lab badly but i knew it wouldnt be fair to take him with me and barely give him any attention so i left him with my mom.....Also you definetly will need to properly train whatever you get to keep it from becoming more of a liability than an asset to you....An untrained dog thats nasty can be a handful....I had a white shepherd growing up that was a great guard dog....only problem was that she ended up biting about 6 people....so make sure you are ready for the commitment....if youre ready then go for it, having a dog is extremely rewarding....as a matter of fact as i type this i am laying in bed with my dog cuddled up next to me :woot: