Sonic Electronix

2 Type-R 12"s @ 150w ea 4ohm *or* 1 Type-R 12" @ 500w at 2ohm?

Hey guys, thanks for checkin out my thread...

For reference: I have a Chrysler 300m with the subs facing the rear. Dynamat Xtreme on front doors, rear deck, and whole trunk. I usually have the backseats down cause it's way louder.

I've read that in order to double loudness, you should double the cone area. And then you can double the power to double the loudness of that. Or was it both of those to double it? Well anyways...

I have 1 12" Type-R (1242d, not the new ones) in my car in a dual-chambered ported box that was originally for 2 12" Type-R's. I used to run 2 Alpine MRP M-500's and it SLAMMED. But then I got a Alpine F-300 (bridged to front stage, 6.5" Alpine component set), and I had no choice but to take out one of the Type-R's and MRP M-500

because I don't have 0 gauge or a new battery yet. I'm saving up for a Kinetik or XS Power Battery and probably a new alternator for future upgrades.

I played the system for a while with just one subwoofer in the dual-chambered box, and it was still pretty loud, and it's facing the trunk. There was about 3 inches of space on each side of the box so that it can flow into the cabin. I realized I was being lazy and dumb by not cutting the box in half... So I cut the box in half, and sure enough it sounded a lot better because of the extra clearance to the cabin. That and all that extra wood couldn't have helped the sound, nor the gas mileage with just 1 subwoofer in. Either way I'm content with the loudness I guess, but...

I keep staring at this M-500 and Type-R just sitting around and started thinking it could be louder and I could build another box to fit both of them with a shorter width so I can get more air flowing into the cabin, and it's gonna be a while until I get a new battery/alt/0gauge. It'll be the second enclosure I've made so it should be better tuned. If I do use the box though, I'll have to wire them so that they get 300w @ 4ohms total. At that point I'll obviously have more cone area to move more air, but I'm wondering if that will sound louder than just using 1 Type-R @ 500w at 2ohm that I have right now. I'm also wondering if it'll be noticeable enough to where it's worth it having a little bit worse gas mileage, and less space for air to flow into the cabin. And if I do that, I'll at least have my box set up for when I purchase my battery/alt/0gauge.

I prefer low low frequencies, and I do know that low frequencies need a lot of distance to travel from the trunk to the front cabin to sound good. Although my car is a boat and can provide more space than almost all other sedan's out there, I want to maximize the distance from the front of the box to the trunk lid and also maximize the clearance between the sides enclosure and the side supports of the trunk (under the rear deck) that leads into the cabin so the frequencies can make their way into the cabin the best.

The other problem with reducing the width is I'll get increased depth. And at the moment there's a thin piece of wood covering the spare tire well, and the old enclosure used to just barely start to hang over the spare well. So if I increase the depth, the front of the enclosure won't be sitting nice and stable on the trunk floor and it would be pretty much resting on the spare tire well cover, so it would be less effective and I would pretty much *have* to make a false floor. The problem with that is I would have to make an entire false floor for the trunk, because there's not enough of an indentation for just a spare tire well cover made of 3/4". Then the enclosure would be angled up and yet again, not sitting flush on the trunk floor.

So that leads me to my questions:

1) Would my system be louder with 2 Type-R's and a new enclosure, with a lot less power going to each, or would it be louder with 1 Type-R in a single enclosure with a lot more power and space for the bass to flow into the cabin?

2) Would the difference be noticeable enough to rationalize the extra weight (gas mileage) and risking having 1 extra Type-R in case of a break-in?

3) What's an ideal amount of clearance between the sides of the enclosure and the side supports of the trunk leading into the cabin, while keeping distance to the trunk lid in mind? And does that vary depending on tuning frequency?

4) I'm thinking I might have to make a false floor of some sort no matter what... but instead would it be better sound-wise/cheaper-for-gas-mileage to fiberglass and tub out the spare tire well while still having space for a spare tire? *or* can I just fiberglass that flimsy cover to strengthen it with similar results? (until I upgrade my subs and flip a new enclosure around to seal it off from the trunk)

Thanks to anyone that answers these questions, I appreciate your help since I can't figure out a couple technical parts of the situation.

Archived