1989 toyota supra modernizing budget build.

Beautiful ride... Im a toyota fan... take care of her and she will last forever. LoL...

i got a 92 MR2... unfortunately its too small for me to drive daily...

My first truck... My first Real build...

*Update 8/9/10 DC Power 270xp Alt is In!!!*

1997 Toyota T-100 DC Level 5 18" in a T-line

Everybody wants their system to be....

1. Cheap

2. Reliable

3. Loud

...you can only pick two.

micahmye hertz pack

ok went out this morning (24F degrees) and hooked up my current db501's in the rear as well and man what a difference a good amp makes...sounds great with the "5" inch speakers. ia cant wait to hear what it sounds like when i get the 6.5"s in all four corners and the rears in a much better location...oh yeah and the sub too...i think this might be a nice clean sound that is exactly what i was looking for. now come on UPS im ready to get this done.

I love this level of installation. Just using little gaps and holes and bolts that are already there to get your install in.

Nice work!

Daniel Brill-Edwards - Representing English Bassheads!!

Old Build Log - http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/94637-vw-golf-mk3-1996-build-from-england/

New build coming soon with SMD V1 #99

YouTube Channel - http://www.youtube.com/brilledwards

thanks dan im trying to be clean and tidy and stock as possible with my build...my 6.5"s showed up today so now i just need my baffles and pods for them...after finally finding some pics of how the fronts will sit in the doors im kinda concerned that a decent portion of the speaker will be covered my the door panel...im gonna get everything in and then probly have to get advice on how to get the fronts a bit more proper...im hoping to find a set of door panels from a 91+ supra that had the 6.5" speakers factory...those are few and far between these days though....good thing blue was the only color they used from begining to end in the mk3 supra....

alrighty then.....so my front 6.5" baffles showed up today...i left my door panels off so i just just toss them in when that got here and thats what i did...

here is a comparison of the old 4" stock enclosure next to the stock replica 6.5" baffle(these are hard to find)

IMG00028-20110303-1308.jpg

here is the new baffles and db's mounted to the door

IMG00029-20110303-1352.jpg

now here things go south a bit...i knew a portion of the speaker would be covered, but the pics from the replicator where at such and angle that it looked ok and the description said it was nothing extreme...well as it turns out just over half the speaker it covered and to me it is pretty damn extreme...now that being said they still sound great compared to the 5"ish" inch that were in there but i do notice that it gets kinda that effect it would if you hold your hand just over a free air speaker...kinda like a tunnel effect..just alot of mid that i cant tune out....im hoping that when the rear pods show up that it will help to mask this and maybe even let me tune mids out completely and use the natural mids ive created here, at least until i find someone parting out a blue interior on a 91+ which has the door panels intended for this...im not unhappy but i think im losing out on alot of what these polks are able to do...the other thing is i have a rattle now on the passenger door since now bass is present....my HU should also arrive today so ill get that in tomorrow and it has a much better eq so i might be able to get a bit more mid out of the fronts...it seems as well that the way toyota used the plastic weather gaurd on the doors kinda makes a "box" for the 6.5 set up and im missing that on my driver side so i will replace that also to see if that helps...anyway here are the pics of the NOT FINAL FIT on these...i will figure a better way once everything else is in and sorted...any ideas here would be appreciated as well...

IMG00031-20110303-1401.jpg

IMG00030-20110303-1400.jpg

ok so now my head unit came....looks nice...its got full ipod control and blutooth built in so i can go hands free on my phone...i never get call but when i do its always on the road so this is a plus...

here ive again used toyotas factory wiring locations as a guide of where i want to run my stuff too...the factory loom had some press in clips i didnt want to break to i chose to just run my ipod cable around the loom a few times to keep it tight(too tight in turns out) and drilled/cut a hole for the usb side of the ipod cable so the wider (ipod) side of the cable can be mounted to its permanant location later and wont fall through for the time being...i plan to use one of the dock plates that ipods come with to set in the factory change pocket for a stable fit but cant seem to locate the piles of them i have atm....

IMG00032-20110304-1223-1.jpg

here it is in its temp. floppy location...i think you can see what im getting at for the final though...

IMG00037-20110304-1352.jpg

testing power ect. initial turn on..

IMG00034-20110304-1241.jpg

ive recently converted all my gauges inside to white LED's and painted my needles the off white to match the off white of the car...so since the face of the HU switches and display can be changed i just went with white for now to see how it all looks together...

IMG00036-20110304-1351.jpg

now all in and working

IMG00035-20110304-1345.jpg

but the rain (as you can see in the contrast that has developed in my pics) is coming down hard now so i cant get in the trunk to retune the amp...but my initial thoughts on the HU so far are really great...it made the sound of everything so much better already...even the 5" ive still got in the rear came alive...its got a 5 band EQ that is customizable by the user and many many many other features ive yet to understand like the X-over and what not...i have a good full sound already so the sub and a better understanding (not to mention the rear 6.5") should make a world of difference....im getting pretty happy with this and thinking im actually gonna do what i had set out to do....

my sub showed up yesterday and im excited....its a beastly little 8"(sundown sa8). also my plans for the enclosure were sent to me thanks to patstone11 (via patsboxbeaters.com) and im off to lowe's after work to get wood and supplies...im excited...it will look like this....

PortWalls.jpg

FrontandSide.jpg

Complete.jpg

BackandPortSide.jpg

here are the specs as sent in the email for those of you who want to know.

"Alright, here are the specs:

9" h x 21"w x 15"d

1.14 cubes gross - .65 cubes net (cute little fella)

Your port is 1.25" wide by 7.5" high, and has an effective length of 28"

This makes 9.4" of port area... seems small, but that is 14.4" of port per cubic foot which is sweet.

35.6Hz tuning."

ok i didnt put any pics up of the box build cause its not going quite as smooth as i had hoped...but its not bad still...i gotta cut the hole for the sub and seal it up and thats about it...here is a grainy pic so you cant see all my mistakes...i will build enclosure v.2 in the near future...this will be a good start though....

Photoon2011-03-08at2146.jpg

a certain some one on this forum might just recognize the speaker in the background too....haha

ok so here it is pretty much all in...im not sure if this is final or not...im debating painting this box or building a new one...im gonna roll with this one for a while and see how it goes...maybe build another one more slowly while i enjoy this one...still waiting on my damn rear pods to be delivered....anyway here you go...

IMG00043-20110315-1141.jpg

IMG00044-20110315-1142.jpg

IMG00045-20110315-1142.jpg

alrighty then. here is a few pics now that all i have left is to tidy up...

IMG00050-20110320-1239.jpg

refit on the ipod mount...not sure how to finish it but..??

IMG00049-20110320-1229.jpg

rear glass (retrospec) speaker pods...

IMG00047-20110320-1215.jpg

i put in a A pillar gauge pod too while i was at it....

IMG00046-20110319-1148.jpg

thats where im at...tomorrow im painting the box and getting everything back together 100%...

Archived