97 Dodge Caravan Sport *new vehicle*/ Malibu build PGS 1-22

Worked on the car a little more today. I hit the baffle for the subs with some resin. One the edges of either side where the majority of it is expanding foam I added a layer of chop matte. On the top I added some fiberglass cloth about 3" wide by 38" long and put overlapping areas of chop matte over that. Additional layers will be added once I get it out of the car.

Didn't do anything with the kicks today. Just sat the door in place to see what it would look like and give me ideas for tweeter placement. On either side there is a gap between the kicks and the doors that is perfect.

002-10.jpg

Once I finish the kicks and doors and install them I will tape the little are you see between them and lay down so fiberglass resin and matte. The tweets will be attached to the kicks but when the door is closed it will look like symetrical and give it a higher finish level.

Working on another video right now. I'll put a link up once it gets posted to you tube.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Well it was an absolutely beautiful day. I got alot of work on the kicks and the baffle done today. Here are a few pics of where were at. I spent the week trying to reconcile that added room for my feet when it came to the kick panel. They just didn't look right the way they were so I used some exp. foam and carved them to shape. In the pictures you can see the cloth I added to the kick panel. There is also two layers of matte as well. I keep using too much resin. Hence the mess. lol All this practice does help though.

004-10.jpg

007-7.jpg

009-5.jpg

They need to be trimmed and bondo'd and dynaglassed but already I can tell that this is going to look so much better. I keep going through different scenarios as far as the tweeters are considered and have decided to use a pair of 4" alpine coaxials for my highs. The tweeters that came with the component set are great but they are titanium domes. They are harsh even with 9db attenuation. The 4" coaxials have silk dome tweets and that shoud lend a more enjoyable sound and should be easier to eq to my tastes.

Onto the baffle. This thing is a beast. I added a couple layers of cloth and matte to it before it got pulled out of the car. That was a mission in and of itself. All the tape and foam had a hold of the car and it wasn't letting go for anything. After using a screwdriver and crowbar to loosen it I jumped in the trunk of the car and pushed on it with my feet. Crazy. Once it was out I started to trim the foam in bach trimming away all the extra pieces. The plan is to cut the foam to fit then glass over the rear of the baffle as well. That way it is one large piece. The fit is good after removing a ton of the foam from the rear.

039.jpg

This should give you guys an idea of what I'm after. As you can see I added another layer of glass cloth along the bottom to reinforce it. Several more layers of matte will go on the front and the rear. It will be guite heavy when it is finished. It is already hovering around 60lbs.

The doors are getting one final coat of dynaglass then they are going to be primed, sanded, and painted. No pics of them today. You wouldn't see much of a differene till they get painted anyway.

I'll have another update and a couple more videos soon.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Another update for you guys while the video uploads. I still haven't seen many responses from you guys. I know a couple people are watching regular but for the most part its all lookey no talkie. I'll continue to post build updates but I have a few extra spots at my table so...

Onto the baffle. I have been working on it pretty steady. Here are a couple pic updates

The baffle glassed. You guys saw this in the last post.

039.jpg

I took the two large speaker rings and cut them to fit on the baffle.

015-2.jpg

That is a 12" apline in the background. I had that in a sealed box 2.5cu ft. That was my only bass before

016-1.jpg

originally I was going to foam around the baffles and be done. What i ended up doing is spraying the foam to the edge and used a long bread knife and my orbital to level it out. Below is a pic of the speakers inside the baffle.

026-1.jpg

Here is a pic of the baffle after a layer of matte and resin. it will most likely get another couple layers of matte. Once that is done I will tie it in with the back; fiberglassing the rear as well.

The Kickpanels. I got to tell ya they were so much fun to trim. All those funky angles and me with my jigsaw. lol I still have a little trimming to do yet. I added some expanding foam to the rear, trimmed it, and covered the panels in another layer of matte and resin.

032.jpg

Here they are needing a little additional trimming, sanding, and a lot of bondo and filler.

034.jpg

033.jpg

The doors are in but only temp. You can see the x's and black lines on them. They are areas I need to hit with some lightweight body filler and sand. That will be the last coat. Then it's a couple coats of primer and some paint.006-6.jpg

I didn't lose as much leg room as I thought. I am glad I finished the instep of the kickpanels. They look a lot better that way. I have to say though; they are quite large but not uncomfortable.

I'll post the vid when it comes up on youtube.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

I was a body filling/sanding juggernaut today. Since a large part of the fab is overI wanted to try to "tie everything in" for lack of a better phrase. Some time was lost setting up one of the amps and hooking up the batt and fuse connections. Here are some pics.

006-7.jpg

DOORS

010-1.jpg

009-6.jpg

Some green goo on em.

011-4.jpg

Kickpanels

008-6.jpg

I put a second coat on after that

012-2.jpg

The baffle. So much more work to do. Not eeeven gonna lie lol.

007-9.jpg

Hit it with a coat from the last from one can and then the duraglass. Going to be doing alot of work on it tomorrow.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

The kickpanels will be primed tomorrow so I hooked up one of my amplifiers. Here is a couple shots.

Dist blocks. Beautiful lookin' little buggaers but the covers are a little loose. I mounted them to the a sheet I cut for the battery box/ subfloor. Part of my war on noise and vibration lol.

014-1.jpg

Got everything connected rear with two lines is my ground.

015-3.jpg

017-2.jpg

I should mention that this installation is only temporary. These amps will actually be part of new backseat I am building. Should be sick...and expensive lol. Thats all I got for ya till the videos done

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Archived