97 Dodge Caravan Sport *new vehicle*/ Malibu build PGS 1-22

Thx buddy. I haven't seen much action on the thread but for this my first big fiberglassing project I think I am doing a kick ass job. I might have done a few things differently now but that's what makes all this so much fun. I appreciate the input.

There is so much more to the build we haven't even got to. I had planned an update today but this being chicago we were hit with a whooper of a t-storm. In the morning I put another layer of dynaglass on the kicks and sanded them. Sorry for the lack of pics. I was in beast mode. The 18" are connected temporarily. Just couldn't help myself. I set the crossover to around 80hz and tweaked the input. After switching the rca's around I could hear some life. My rearview mirror is officially useless lol. My last system consisted of a single 12". Even in an IB config these subs have alot of output for 240 watts (which is closer to 190ish at idle.) I am thinking that the subs may be able to take more power. The reccomendation for an IB setup is half the rms which would be 150W. We will have to see tomorrow if all the foaming increases output and or puts more mechanical stress that I can "hear" in the drivers when they're playing. Air leakes were obvious and many lol. I used two cans of expanding foam after that.

Unfortunately I still hadn't hooked up the mids&highs when I demo'ed the subs. While it rained balls outside I wired and screwed in the two 6" in each kick. The tweets will be free flowing until I listen for a few days and best location for them to be in. I have a second set as well that I want to see if I'll need and a pair of 4" alpine coaxials.

When I add the 10" to the door for use between 80-250hz I should have more than enough slap for my means lol. Not like some of you guys on here but more than enough to make me happy. There is rain forecasted the next few days but I will try to get the other amp hooked up and we will get a proper demo made hopefully tommorrow.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Got another update for you guys. Spent all afternoon in the trunk sealing it up and mounting the second amp. Here are a few pics...

001-11.jpg

002-11.jpg

Here is the view I had of the sky all day (grown man folded in trunk cam)

003-11.jpg

It was nice out today but inside the black trunk it felt closer to 110 degrees. Sweat was just dripping off me. I drank four qts of water while I was out there. Here is a pic of the bottom of the rear deck with all the tape on. The stock 6x9 locations were filled with some expanding foam and the aluminum tape went over the top.

004-11.jpg

This is above the shock tower on the left hand side. I have used a liberal amount of sprayfoam making sure not to obstruct any access to the connection point itself. (you never know)

005-8.jpg

I got the crossovers installed and I wrapped the connections with some plastic.

009-7.jpg

The speaker wire you see exposed is the main input for the crossover. Yeah the wire is overkill for 240 watts but I wanted to do it and it was cheap. I use the same for the tens and the eighteens.

I was going to mount them in the glove compartment but I think I will mount them in the space between the center console and firewall. Something fiberglassed. Just don't know what or how yet. lol

Got the amps wired. Please don't give me a hard time it is temporary. I am going to rearrange everything. I wanted to give you an idea. All this will be changed on the first when I get some more cheddar. There final location is where the backseat use to be.

007-10.jpg

I'm going to play with the tweeter positioning for a while. I have a second pair I could try out as well. I can tell from this position we are pretty close to having a good center image but it does favor the passenger side.

010-2.jpg

After I listen to a couple locations for a week or so I will start fabricating some sort of housing for them. I also have a pair of 4" coax. that I would like to throw in the mix. Well have to see how the sound changes when I get my third amp and have my 10" in the doors running with everything else.

Infinite baffle report...

After driving the car for a while I got a sense of the sound that comes from 18's in an infinite baffle. It's great. The bass is unusual in it feels tight and accurate; but more encompassing in terms of adding a dimension to the music rather than shouting over it. Not to say you couldn't do that. I have my gain set to about 1/3 so if you turned it up the mids and highs get lost.

The sound is so natural from what I have heard before; more music like. Hard to describe something so simple. There is an impact but it isn't like a bat to the chest more "psychoacoustic". Omnidirectional. Some songs the subs disappear with low frequencies coming from everywhere. lol It does have limits which was the whole reason why I used larger drivers. With the additional sealing with the tape and the foam the subwoofers sound changed drastically. I did note with one song (desmond dekker/ Isrealites) I was listening to I could hear some mechanical noise from the drivers but that was at nearly full volume. I never listen to it that loud. The trunk acting as an enclosure does have it's own peak freq. which is around 32hz. That will be something I will have to try to eq out with that feedback destroyer pro or my 1/3 octave. The speakers' Fs is 23 hz so they play plenty low enough. I think the wattage I am using now is sufficient. It seems crazy to be happy with that much wattage on the 18's when some of you guys are doing 20 or thirty times that. lol

I'll post a video up when it is done loading.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

made a vid today. We are far from being done but it was nice to hear music for a couple days. Everything is coming back out to get finished up. This is a vid of the components running with the two 18"

No crazy output as I have the gains set low and it's an IB system. Each sub is getting 240 watts a piece. Once the baffle is finally done I can get the gains set. Remember when the 10" get installed the sound will substantially different and hopefully louder. I am happy with the output of the subs so far though. I'll get all the impact I need when the doors are done.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Thx buddy

I hit the doors and the kickpanels with another layer of dynaglass and sanded the crap out of em. The kicks have been covered with a black rubberized coating. 3 coats so far. Another two tomorrow.

004-12.jpg

The doors need a little more work. It is incredible how primer shows imperfections. Will need to do a little bit more sanding and they will be ready for paint.

006-9.jpg

The kicks will be installed back into the car tom and I will start work on the mounts for the crossovers. see ya then

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

this build is amazing man! i love your attention to detail and for your first time glassing and stuff your doing an awesome job

keep up the good work and i will be watching this build

Car: 1995 Thunderbird

System:

Pioneer deh5100ub HU

Pioneer/Lightning Audio 5x7's

1 Hifonics 1610D amp

2 Obsidian Audio 12's

4cu.ft. box tuned to 30hz

8 farad Boss Audio cap

4 gauge power/ground wire

Youtube

Facebook

this build is amazing man! i love your attention to detail and for your first time glassing and stuff your doing an awesome job

keep up the good work and i will be watching this build

Thanks. I spent a good three months researching and learning before I decided to build anything. I've built some door pods for an 8 and 6" and a subbox built into the well for the spare tire but that was 12 yrs. ago. I am only just getting back into car audio.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Did some more work today. Got both the kickpanels and the doors painted today. They look pretty good. The doors did need an additional layer of dynaglass. I hand sanded them with 120 and 320. Got a workout for sure. I have no pictures of the finished door panels but you can see them in the video.

The kicks were given three coats of the plasti-dip. They look really good. There are a few little imperfections but they are barely visible. While I had the speakers out and was painting I put some acoustic foam in the kicks.

001-12.jpg

003-12.jpg

Here is a finished pic...

002-12.jpg I have wrapped the wires you see in a loom so they asre no longer visible.

I am going to slowly start changing over the interior to black so bear with me. I'll be putting up a couple videos as well as soon as I'm done editing. One is another demo. I have been doing some additional sealing of the trunk and it has made a huge difference in output.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

Archived