Second Skin Audio

My first box design (BUILD) NEW VIDEO Pg.3

Carroot1

Each "bend" piece of your port is 5.00." Your port is 4.5" wide. 5+5+4.5=14.5. That would make the back wall piece of the port 14.5." But since you are actually using the back wall, you no longer need to worry about thy displacement.

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Two 12" DC Audio XL M2'sCrescendo Audio BC5500d

Current Scores: 150+ out the Trunk

On 6/30/2011 at 1:11 AM, 'Ray' said:

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not.

Each "bend" piece of your port is 5.00." Your port is 4.5" wide. 5+5+4.5=14.5. That would make the back wall piece of the port 14.5." But since you are actually using the back wall, you no longer need to worry about thy displacement.

im so confused.

mJzD9.png

Give me a minute to hop on an actual computer and not my mom's new iPhone... Lol

Okay. Common port walls refers to pieces of the box that the port uses for its walls. In your case, you will be using the top of the box as the top of your port, the bottom of the box as the bottom of your port, and ALSO the BACK WALL as the back of your port to make the physical "bend" to get your desired port length for tuning.

Here is what I am talking about:

portproblemslol.png

The blue circles represent the "bends" that I was talking about earlier. Each small piece of the "L" are 5" long. Your port width is 4.5." Therefore, the port is using 14.5" of the back was in essence as part of your port. By saying "2 common port walls," your are actually saying that you are using a piece of mdf that is 14.5" long, by 12.25" tall as the back wall of your port, when you are really not. Because you are using the 14.5" long by 12.25" tall segment of that wall that I have circled in green as that physical piece of the back of your port.

I just ran the new numbers for you, and you are correct, it does not make a huge difference, just raises your net volume .1, and drops your tuning .26Hz.

Hope that helps you man. :pardon: Really, it's not a HUGE deal in this case, but I just thought a little 101 on the calc. couldn't hurt. :) I needed a little schooling at first too because it doesn't seem too complicated, but again, little things can make the strangest differences.

Let me know if this makes sense. And if it does, then stop reading and get to building! :drinks:

Okay. Common port walls refers to pieces of the box that the port uses for its walls. In your case, you will be using the top of the box as the top of your port, the bottom of the box as the bottom of your port, and ALSO the BACK WALL as the back of your port to make the physical "bend" to get your desired port length for tuning.

Here is what I am talking about:

portproblemslol.png

The blue circles represent the "bends" that I was talking about earlier. Each small piece of the "L" are 5" long. Your port width is 4.5." Therefore, the port is using 14.5" of the back was in essence as part of your port. By saying "2 common port walls," your are actually saying that you are using a piece of mdf that is 14.5" long, by 12.25" tall as the back wall of your port, when you are really not. Because you are using the 14.5" long by 12.25" tall segment of that wall that I have circled in green as that physical piece of the back of your port.

I just ran the new numbers for you, and you are correct, it does not make a huge difference, just raises your net volume .1, and drops your tuning .26Hz.

Hope that helps you man. :pardon: Really, it's not a HUGE deal in this case, but I just thought a little 101 on the calc. couldn't hurt. :) I needed a little schooling at first too because it doesn't seem too complicated, but again, little things can make the strangest differences.

Let me know if this makes sense. And if it does, then stop reading and get to building! :drinks:

hey thanks a lot for posting that, really helped me understand more about this type of box. glad you reviewed all my design and hopefully start building tomorrow! :)

mJzD9.png

Archived