Alternator operating temperatures

Sup SMD? So I was sitting at work today and wanted to know how hot it was getting after putting a pretty large load on it. I know that alternators work better and produce more voltage the cooler they are, so you won't need to explain that to me. Is there a "too hot" number that is VERY bad for the alternator or does it vary between brands and outputs? When I took the temperature of mine, it came out to about 140 degrees on the top, farthest area from the engine. The parts of the alt closer to the engine came out to around 160.

Now these numbers were taken after about 5 minutes of loud bass and having the voltage drop to the high 12s on the hard notes. Now I bought my car used and the last person who owned it also had a system in it so it might have taken quite a toll on the alt which might explain why my voltage at the amp sits at about 14.3v in the mornings. As my driving with the music up goes on throughout the day, the idle voltage with no music/other vehicle accessories will sit in the mid to upper 13s. From what I know, that's low as shit, so could this just be a dying alternator os something else within the vehicle?

I like the oldschool one..

TDHsiggy.png

Current System: Stock 2011 Tahoe

Loud as F**K

Just kidding

Check your batteries, once hot, a low battery can put alot of stress on the alt and once hot it just wont raise voltage, could also be connections. Heat soak will drop alt voltage but not below 14 volts if the battery is fully charged and connections are good.

TEAM SOUNDQUBED -- TEAM SOUTH

TEAM S.O.B. - Founder & Captain

3x Streetbeat World Record Holder

2017 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4 
2016 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem/2nd Adv 4/2nd Xtreme 4
2015 MWSPL 2nd place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4
2014 USACI 2nd place Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db
2014 MWSPL 2nd place Xtreme 4 - 144.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Street Q+ - 162.8 db
2013 MWSPL 3rd Kaos2 & 4th Xtreme 4
2011 USACI 2nd place MOD 1001-2k - 160.0 db
2011 MWSPL 4th place: Adv3 - 157.8 db, Kaos2 - 150s db, Xtreme4 - 140s db
2010 ARSPL 1st place 501-750 - 160.3 db Arkansas loudest

Best score to date 164.4 db - Termlab Outlaw

Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db

Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db

MWSPL on Dash Legal door open (Music) - 162.5 db

Sealed on dash Legal (Music) - 161.1 db - Termlab

THE BLACK NASTY CURRENT BUILD & FAB

The Black Nasty (6) 15 Rebuild Log 2012

(4) 15 Walled Sierra Build Log

Evo X build log

Facebook page The Black Nasty

16163044_large.gif

Guest DC Power Rob

Alternators aren't "hot" until they leave blisters the second you touch them.. :) that said, normal operating temps underhood will usually be in the 190-230 range depending on ambient air temp, but can go higher of course... We routinely push them well over 300 on the bench in testing, and if we're really pushing weve done over 400... Most aalts will go into thermal shutdown completely over about 310 or so, but will start full temp compensation about 255-260... In short, if it wasn't smokIng or leaving blisters, it wasn't too hot...

Edited by DC Power Rob

Ok thanks, I figured that wasn't very hot.

I have a brand new Yellow top under the hood which rests at 12.6v. i took a quick tempterature of it yesterday and it only came up to about 75 degrees. But that was the surface of the plastic casing.

I like the oldschool one..

TDHsiggy.png

Current System: Stock 2011 Tahoe

Loud as F**K

Just kidding