Sundown Audio

Right Amp For Re Sx 18?

REAudio50

Im lookin at a lot of amps for this sub and im clueless so far. Ive never had something this large and I dont want to run too much and blow it up. The sub says its rated at 2000 watt max but ive seen people running a lot more to that so im confused. In your guys opinions what would be the ideal amp for under $500 or also what amount of wattage would be ideal???

JL Audio XR 6.5 Components

Pioneer Head Unit

JL Audio e4300 amplifier

RE Audio SX 18

US Amps Xterminator XT4000d amp

Stinger 1.2 farad Capacitor

Optima Yellow top battery

I'd only want to run 1000 for this huge sub??? I ran that same amount of watts with my 10 i had

Pioneer Head Unit

JL Audio e4300 amplifier

RE Audio SX 18

Guest MegaloManiac

I'd only want to run 1000 for this huge sub??? I ran that same amount of watts with my 10 i had

10" sx and 18" sx has the same voice coil just a bigger cone & basket :fyi:

more surface area means it can push more air resulting in a louder woofer :)

1000 watts on the 18 should be a lot louder than 1000 on the 10"...given its in the proper enclosure.

Heres another main question I would like answered...What is the most amount of power I can run to this thing without hurting it??

Pioneer Head Unit

JL Audio e4300 amplifier

RE Audio SX 18

Guest MegaloManiac

to tell you the truth a sub can take almost any amount of power, as long as:

1. you are within the thermal limits of coil

2. you are not bottoming out the sub; stay within mechanical limits of sub

3. dont be stupid with power

you could kill a sub 1000 watts if it was a clipped signal, a clipped signal is a flat peaking sine wave, which results in the coil getting extremely hot and will kill itself, so make sure you are running nice clean power.

But since you are asking these novice questions id highly recommend you dont give more than 1000watts.

10" sx and 18" sx has the same voice coil just a bigger cone & basket :fyi:

more surface area means it can push more air resulting in a louder woofer :)

1000 watts on the 18 should be a lot louder than 1000 on the 10"...given its in the proper enclosure.

I didnt explain myself as much as I should have on that statment...My old sub was a JL Audio 10W7 and it had an RMS of 500. I ran an e1800d amp to it and at the 14.4 volts i was running it was pushing around 1000 watts and I had no trouble at all with that sub and it ran AMAZINGLY!! So I was thinking if I ran the 10 at its max wattage could I do that for my 18 also? Or just to be safe tone it down to between 1500-1900??

Pioneer Head Unit

JL Audio e4300 amplifier

RE Audio SX 18

Guest MegaloManiac

I didnt explain myself as much as I should have on that statment...My old sub was a JL Audio 10W7 and it had an RMS of 500. I ran an e1800d amp to it and at the 14.4 volts i was running it was pushing around 1000 watts and I had no trouble at all with that sub and it ran AMAZINGLY!! So I was thinking if I ran the 10 at its max wattage could I do that for my 18 also? Or just to be safe tone it down to between 1500-1900??

the dub7 can be ran at 1k on any of there subs, JL puts those small ratings on the different sizes for people who are (in lamens terms) stupid.

Archived