Second Skin Audio

port size/length for solox18 tuned 30hz 10cubes

Thanks skrilla forilla but I meant how do you determine how much area you need for a certain size box volume/driver. What is theadvantage of a bigger box? Gets louder for some subs?

12-16 inches of port area per cube is the "ideal" goal. Some go a little less, and some go a little more. (I.E. Steve only has 120 inches of port area) :ehh: but stick between 12-16 and you shouldn't have a problem...

2 HDC3 18's

AQ2200D

Your 18 SoloX won't hit lower @ 35Hz then your L7 @ 32Hz... Box size doesn't matter in this situation. It's all in the tuning. Your box could be 20 cubes, but if it's tuned to 35Hz it's not going to really hit any lower then a 4 cubed box tuned to 35Hz... Port area is the "area" of the port itself. For example, if I had a slot port that was 10" tall and 5" wide, that would be 50in of port area (10x5) Length x Width for area. For round ports it's a little different. if it's a 10" round port you take the radius(divide the diameter by 2) which is 5in, and square it (5x5) which is 25, than times that by pi (3.14) and that equals 78.5in of port area. So a 8" round port would be (4x4=16) than 16x3.14= 50.24in. It's really simple once you get the hang of it. So if you want 150in of port area and you're doing a slot port, you're going to want your port to be something like 20" tall x 7.5" wide (20 x 7.5 = 150in). This will depend on the dimensions of your box, though

box size, tuning, and port area always matter imo

I agree. When I said box size doesn't matter in that situation, I was trying to give an example that two different size boxes that are tuned to the same frequency are still going to hit the same frequency.

2 HDC3 18's

AQ2200D