Sonic Electronix

Ok well I got my system installed by a guy that got his own install shop and my car was recently in an accident, when I got it back I was looking at my car and noticed my ground was only 4gauge and power was 0gauge. I went and asked him about it he said not to worry about it that it was fine but idk. I also asked about the "big 3" and he said it really wouldn't do much and didn't recommend it. Can anyone help in explaining the differences it would make switching my ground and then doing the "big 3"?

Your power and ground are supposed to be the same size. Thats dumb that he made them different.

The Big 3 increases power flow to your battery by giving it a larger wire, therefor less resistance.

ninja'd by kevin <_<

Edited by blownengine

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (Yea its got a Hemi)Alpine CDA-105KnuKonceptz 0ga CCA

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

How long is the ground? Was he maybe trying to cheat you? aka keep the thicker wire and give you smaller stuff for the same price?

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (Yea its got a Hemi)Alpine CDA-105KnuKonceptz 0ga CCA

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

He was saying because it's not a far distance from the ground - amp it wouldn't matter as much that the ground was only a 4 gauge. It didn't seem right, so I figured I'd ask.

I wouldn't go back to this installer again if I were you nor would I recommend any of your friends to him either. Your power & ground wires must always be the same size.

He was saying because it's not a far distance from the ground - amp it wouldn't matter as much that the ground was only a 4 gauge. It didn't seem right, so I figured I'd ask.

Smells fishy to me man. Power and ground should be even unless you are doing a ghetto backyard install. What wattage are you running as that will help with the math and requirements? He might be correct if its a short ground lead, but the big 3, will help regardless.

Steven :drinks:

Does this smell funny to you? Its your sister :roflmao:

I'd guess about 2'? There was more to what he said but I have such terrible memory, we got into a huge conversation on everything so it slipped out of my head. I asked the wire question to him 1 cuz it didn't seem right and 2 I've been noticing a slight smell so when I looked I noticed that and wondered if my amp was getting something wrong. No smoke on anything it's just when I'm playing upwards of 20 mins I smell something so made me wonder.

I'd guess about 2'? There was more to what he said but I have such terrible memory, we got into a huge conversation on everything so it slipped out of my head. I asked the wire question to him 1 cuz it didn't seem right and 2 I've been noticing a slight smell so when I looked I noticed that and wondered if my amp was getting something wrong. No smoke on anything it's just when I'm playing upwards of 20 mins I smell something so made me wonder.

What does it smell like? If it's a burning/smoking smell then something is definitely burning. Were your gains set with an oscilloscope?

I trust the guy, believe me, he wasn't trying to cheat me out of money he's always willing to answer my stupid questions and recommends things to me and gives me honest opinions. He showed me the pricing that he gets on the wire and charged me that so it wasn't anything money, I'm sure of that. It's not burning it's just like a smell I've never smelled before. It's hard for me to discribe but it happens after excess bumpin.