Portable Hard Drive ?....

well im upgrading my old kenwood deck in my van up to a pioneer deh 6900 with the usb input, and i seen that its able to operate a usb device like a flash drive/hard drive, anyone have any recommendations as to which portable hard drive to get?. i will be building a mounting location for the hard drive to rest when i have it in the van so its not just siting somewhere in the way ect. but is there one thats more durable than another or are they all built on the same shock design?

i know the bigger the Hd the more it can hold, but i dont see myself useing anything more than 20-30gigs of hd space and that would take some time to fill up and size of the unit doesnt matter much as long as its usb conection i dont thing the usb 2.0 will work tho

Americas loudest work van2006 iasca heavyweight bassboxing champion at 150.4 db with 60second average TL8 memphis PR15s,12 memphis PR6.5's coax,4 memphis PR 1inch tweets

uBus" USB Direct Control*

Do more with Pioneer "uBus" USB Control - not just iPod® direct control*, "uBus" also controls many MP3 players** and USB memory devices ("Jump Drives") as well. Access, control and high-resolution playback are supremely fast and straightforward. Simply plug in USB-compatible equipment (such as an iPod® nano, iPod® Video, or another portable digital player or USB memory device) into the included USB connector. This direct, high-speed (USB 2.0), adapter-free connection plus built-in 24-bit Delta Sigma D/A Converter assures extraordinary sound quality as well as convenience.

Edited by mrwigglezdj

Americas loudest work van2006 iasca heavyweight bassboxing champion at 150.4 db with 60second average TL8 memphis PR15s,12 memphis PR6.5's coax,4 memphis PR 1inch tweets

I have a maxtor 60gb usb HD. 80$ or so at bestbuy. no bigger then 2 cd cases stacked on top of each other. Its nice, easy to use also.

2009 spring fling-iasca-rookie 1-Champion. 139.4db.

"I don't do enough, I just fool around

Ya'll can go to hell, how does that sound"~ Tech N9NE

4 15" Memphis. and 1 Big ass box. <-Sold to fund more power.

Kicker l5s

ok lol whats the real difference between the flash drive and a hard drive? im geting lost, i thought the flash drives were the little lighter looking things , and a hard drive averages 2.5-3 inches wide and about 4-5 inches long? and can be supper slim

I havent used it in our car(non usb headunit). I have seen the same one used in another car at a show tho.

2009 spring fling-iasca-rookie 1-Champion. 139.4db.

"I don't do enough, I just fool around

Ya'll can go to hell, how does that sound"~ Tech N9NE

4 15" Memphis. and 1 Big ass box. <-Sold to fund more power.

Kicker l5s

Guest MegaloManiac

harddrives have plators(inside) where it writes to. hard drives require "booting up"(spinning up) otherwise if not properly bootdown you wil increase chance of getting sector errors.

flash drives use chips where it writes to like your memory in your computer or in a cellphone. u can hotswap with these.

Edited by MegaloManiac

well that makes scense, lookd up sizes of the flash drives and it doenst seem to be a worth while thing to do, i dont see the use in 1gb to 4gb flash drive....

sucks because i was in the shop and some kid came in with his laptop and they connected a cord to it (like a 3.5mm plug) and played his laptop thru the radio, but i see how since it was playing via the computer and not stand alone like i was wanting to do , so i guess that really kills that idea i had for a few days