Gain Setting on Overpowered Amp

This may be a dumb question but I always get good advise from SMD!

My amp is overpowered for my sub (for daily use) and my remote knob has broken so I need to set my gain and leave it. Is it any easier on my electrical system to set the amp gain lower and increase on head unit? Or is it any easier on my head unit to set the bass setting low and increase gain on amp?

In theory I would think it would be better on the head to set the bass low and increase the gain but better on the electrical to increase the bass on head and lower amp gain.?.?. It's not a huge issue because I have adequate voltage but would like my battery's life to last but also want my head unit to last as well. Maybe there is a happy median?.?. Just curious, maybe I'm thinking about it the wrong way. :trippy:

Insite is greatly appreciated.

Id suggest setting everything properly (of course with a scope) with the headunit turned up. Then you can turn the head unit sub output down. That way you know you can turn it up and not be clipping if you ever wanted.

Id suggest setting everything properly (of course with a scope) with the headunit turned up. Then you can turn the head unit sub output down. That way you know you can turn it up and not be clipping if you ever wanted.

Technically my sub can take all of the amp but I don't run it full tilt for daily. So the gain can pretty much be set wherever without clipping, I just don't want to overload any of it for daily/long term use if that makes sense? Basically my amp is great for competition settup and would be no problem setting with the bass remote but now that I have to set it and leave it I want both the head and amp to have the lowest possible draw for a long life (ironically, like everyone else on here, I change equipment like underwear......once a month :ehh: ). Appreciate the reply Rusty!!!