Long Story but I'll keep it short.

Bought an Alt from a shop in Elizabethton TN as a 140amp heavy duty cop car alt for my 2.3 Ranger

Had it bout a year and a half.

Noticed my batts staying below their normal 14.4 idle radio off. and 12.3 or less radio on at all not full tilt.

Thought it was corrosion in wires (again) so i checked some grounds and powers all looked okay.

Then I noticed increased alt whine (360.2 always has negligible amount but not noticeable with music playing)

Checked voltage on alt 12.5 running. I knew right then without having to do anything my alt was dead.

Had it checked. Passed for voltage but noway to test amps or with a load.

Had it rebuilt for $85. (not a heavy duty alt btw. 130amp off a F250 super duty)

Put it back on, cranked it up. 12.7, 12.8.... eventually 14.4 after about 30 seconds on meter on dash.

checked it on back of alt. 14.8. Yay it works.

cut on radio.... 13.3 12.9 12.6 not even on enough to hear it.

checked alt voltage but i couldn't touch it it was so hot.

Took it off ready to throw it through my windshield... but i didn't

i took it apart (after it cooled) and checked to make sure the bridge and diodes weren't exploded like before.

Put it back together and it finally sunk in that it was a lot cleaner looking than it was... he painted the case light silver...

like a bolt of lighting hitting me it struck me that duh..... it's not grounding itself to the block... checked for continuity across the ears nothing. sanded the ends down... beeep...

sanded the block holes reinstalled it and 14.4 almost instantly. 14.2 with radio on and playing with headlights on. and it got warm after like 15mins of idling but i could hold my hand on it still not like before when it almost melted my fingers.

Long day huh?

JVC AVX-44 and 360.2

Subs: 2 RF T1 12s 1ohm mono off a RF T1500bdcp 80hz \/ in a 2.3cube 45hz slot port

Mids: 2 O2 8's off a Punch 550.2 behind seat, 2 Image Cxs 6.5's and 2 ID XS 6x9s 80-3khz in doors on a T600.2

Highs: 2 ID CD.1 MH HLCD 8ohm off a RF 400.4 3khz /\

Archived