Mustang Restoration Build, 2011 Edition

Got a decent amount done today considering I was woken up to the news that my sister had her baby this morning a couple weeks before expected. So unfortunately this week after my two days of work ill be heading out of town. Anyways, here is what I got done.

Felt like getting something obvious done, and this door panel was the last exterior part I hadn't yet touched, so I touched it a bit. Here it is pretty much completely sandblasted.

IMG_0217.jpg

Then started on the quarter

IMG_0218.jpg

Here is the quarter panel done. It does still have a slight tint of green because there was no reason to take off metal to the point of being completely bare since the primer on it was self etching. Anything I wanted off would have been blasted off, the self etching holds pretty tightly.

IMG_0220.jpg

Also did some sporatic blasting on the engine bay and surrounding surfaces. Mostly just hit some places so I could see where I needed to come back with a wire brush to get the thick stuff off.

IMG_0219.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

Unfortunately by this time it was thunderstorming outside and had been high humidity for several hours, which reeks havoc on the sandblaster; gets clogged extremely often. This also meant I had to blast with the garage door shut which means dust everywhere that takes about an hour to settle. You can see the cloud in most of the pics. So even though the door and quarter were ready for paint short of being cleaned off with a tack cloth, it was horrible conditions to shoot, so tomorrow hopefully I can take the time to hit them one quick last time with the blaster and then spray them.

Im definitely trying. Also trying to document what I do as well, even though this right now isn't really the type of "build" most people are into on here, pretty easy to see that by the ratio of my updates to random comments. :peepwall: I didn't really post about it last year and I definitely regret it. If nothing else it is nice to be able to go back and look at what ive done to critique and maybe see something I missed, so hopefully I stay motivated.

Anyways, due to my sisters birth Ill be out of state pretty much all week, though im hoping to atleast get the door and quarter painted wednesday before I go. It rained again today so I wasn't able to. But, the trip to kentucky means time to spend a few hundred on metal :yahoo:

• 3 weeks later...

Hey kids. So... been awhile since ive updated. been gone, been busy, etc, fml, etc. Anyway, I have spent quite a bit of time on the old stang, both on the car and looking up/preparing to buy/buying parts.

I still haven't taken pics, but I now have a new drivers fender, radiator support, front valance, and some random bolts and such. Also got to see the engine/hear it run. Here it is:

IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0325.jpg

Ill be actually picking it up as soon as I have the room to put it somewhere. Getting it from a guy I know and he is in no rush to get it out of his yard. So... exciting.

Also finally finished up the drivers door and quarter. Win.

IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

More sporadic wire brush and blasting to the engine bay

IMG_0330.jpg

And then sprayed what I got done.

IMG_0344.jpg

IMG_0343.jpg

This brings me up to now. I only have two weeks left, so expect some quick work here soon, and ill try to document it better. Unfortunately I have way too much on my hands. (as can be seen by the crap updates lately)

Near plans are to order about $500 more of parts (engine and transmission mounts, though they probably won't be used soon), finish up the engine bay, probably do the roof, and then probably move to the underbody.

Been sucking at updating again, stuff going on ftl, but here is what's been going on, lots of pics.

This spot is one of the few places I haven't taken all the way down. Ive sampled it in places, and then built it back up. Anywhere I sampled it it seemed fine underneath, so I just left it. But, it got to bothering me that it had a good deal of body filler on it, so I decided to take it down.

IMG_0364.jpg

So, after taking it down, here is what was under. Nothing bad, but there was some ever so light surface rust in places, so im glad I took it down, besides the fact there was way too much body filler on it.

IMG_0372.jpg

Got the roof blasted and ready for paint

IMG_0371.jpg

and painted, even though it doesn't really look like it in this pic

IMG_0373.jpg

This one shows it a bit better.

IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0376.jpg

Here starts my project for today. This area has been previously taken down and primered with self etching, but I wasn't too happy with it, besides the fact it had been damaged in places.

IMG_0378.jpg

More mouse poop. :jon:

IMG_0379.jpg

Closer when I got this project I tried getting this lower valence off, but the screws wouldn't budge. Decided to give it another go today and had no problems. So, this is the first time I had seen this view. Some fairly bad rusting, but I knew it was there.

IMG_0380.jpg

IMG_0381.jpg

Can see where I need to replace some metal on the inside of the quarter.

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg

Sampled some areas with the sandblaster, and all seemed to clean up nicely as you can see

IMG_0384.jpg

And painted.

IMG_0385.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

The back side of the passenger fender. though partially covered in sand, I had completely forgotten that it hadn't been cleaned up. Yet another reason to just replace it. hmm.

IMG_0388.jpg

That probably wouldn't be a bad idea, though the reason for the rust on the roof was more being too thin. Anywhere I actually got a good cote I never had any problems. Ill have to do some more thinking/research about the epoxy primer, the only thing that might be an issue is I still have to do body work to several places.

Well from experience I've noticed that just etching primer by itself doesnt provide much protection from moisture.

And if there are spots where bodywork needs to be done then just hit that spot with 80grit until you're back to bare metal.

Also I've heard of people using the epoxy as 2k primer for blocking the car.to me thats a plus 8)

I know exactly what you mean by moisture, a couple of the places I had to re-blast was due to someone getting stuff on the paint and it soaking through. How about humidity though? Like I said, the car will be inside year round, and this year will be covered up to keep stuff off of it. (plus I am enforcing strict put nothing on the mustang rules)

One thing is the passenger side paint has been on there over a year now. Looks solid to me still, ive had to cut into it a bit in places and still looked good underneath.

Archived