Question about Audacity!! pretty please??

Lowering the bass track's peak frequencies is primarily what I do for my custom songs.

I simply make a duplicate of the track in audacity (select the track and hit ctrl+D) and get two tracks.

Then I use HPF at about 120Hz/48dB slope on one track. Then I use LPF about 100Hz/48dB slope on the other.

Then I select the whole bass track, check peak frequencies and lower the pitch of the bass track to get it to the desired frequencies using the 'change pitch' effect.

After that it starts to get tricky. I mess around with the 'amplify' tool and get the two tracks to volumes that will merge together without causing distortion, but still leave it with a good mixture of bass and treble when I put them together using the 'mix and render' tool under the 'tracks' tab.

Then I do a little bass boosting to get the most out of the track that I can. I constantly export the MP3 and check it with the oscope visualization in windows media player. I play the first rendered version, then if it's clean, bass boost a couple dBs. Check that new track, if clean, repeat. If not, undo bass boosting and try 1 dB boost at a time.

The only problem with this method is the track can very easily lose sound quality.

interesting approach

if u are using the new audacity u can bass boost in numbers down to .1 if needed to maximize, you arent limited by whole numbers

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

So much to learn. So so much.

I'm also just learning how to work audacity (and mod music for that matter). It's quite an amazing little piece of freeware imo. I'm already having a blast and I know almost nothing. I need to find some solid sources on advanced use of audacity.

Now to try Autruche' method..

Thanks for the idea. I've been doing mine a band at a time - single song.

RJ

youtube has a ton of videos explaining the advanced plugins and so on

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

Thanks a lot guys, great input decaf, i´m playing with audacity right now :)

I´m the SPL Gains topic creator!! wanna get louder?? check this: SPL Gains. Panamenian 2009 & 2010 & 2014 Bass Race 149.9 Champion!

2 15" subs and a 2K wired at 1 ohm, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167788-fecupe2001-2-15s-on-a-2k-video-on-page-3/

8 Massive 15" subs and small power, http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179296-fecupe2001s-8-15s-4th-order-bandpass-wall/

just gotta immerse yourself in it... make a tone and then apply every effect and see how it sounds and how the waveform looks like afterwards

then start combining effects, because at times the order you do things in will change the outcome

for instance, lets say u manipulate a song and get it perfectly loud, no clipping, eq'd nicely with some fade in/fade out... if you didnt slow it before all of that you will be unhappy with what you see next. hit change speed and u tend to see a bunch of "red" being introduced. when u max out all frequencies just before clipping and then slow them, you elongate the wave lengths, which at times is enough to trip the dc offset trigger that makes the data "red". you wont be able to audibly hear the change 99% of the time, but its what makes people think its going to blow up ur system... that "show clipping" feature can be so misleading/misinform.

TeamSundown-sig.jpg