Jump to content

The Focal components blew - ideas for decent replacement? Coaxials improved enough to consider?


RacinJason1971

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hey gang.

I am currently running a set of older Focal Polykevlar 165K's (6.5" component set). I had a midbass let go due to surround rot so it's time to replace them. My x-over and tweeters seem to be fine and this is an expensive set..but old.

So here's my first dilemma. Should I simply replace the midbass drivers or should I just replace it all? I thought of just throwing some selenium or tang bands, etc in there and hoping for the best,My tweeter mounts are removable and hidden so removing or replacing them is easy. Therefore I CAN change what I'm running if need be.

Next question - Are some of the coaxials pretty much on par with a good component set now? I see a LOT of people with huge systems running them these days. Using coaxials would be easiest obviously and would likely cost less (cheap is good!)

I'm currently driving the front stage with a classic Punch 200DSM and they are getting over the rated 100wRms per side @4 ohms, I had the unsealed midbasses in my doors at 120hz HPF 24dB/octave. I'm planning on dropping the HPF to 80ish when I find some 6.5s I can trust and pod them.

My budget is limited, as is my mounting depth in the door to the window but I want good quality. I'll save up if I have to.

Any educated recommendations would be appreciated. These have to keep up with a pair of AQ 12's on 1500wRms btw.

RJ

I screw and tune music a bit for fun. All uploads clip free from 60ish down to under 5hz (all music). Everything from 80's hip-hop to modern stuff. More genres coming soon! Feedback appreciated

2ljj1wp.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/RacinJason1971

Posted

Good news actually.

It looks like the bass knocked a wire harness off its holding clip. The thing was hanging right in front of the midbass driver. Sounded blown to me and they are old so i assumed..

The old Focals are still rocking! Time to pod them up and drop the HPF.

I screw and tune music a bit for fun. All uploads clip free from 60ish down to under 5hz (all music). Everything from 80's hip-hop to modern stuff. More genres coming soon! Feedback appreciated

2ljj1wp.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/RacinJason1971

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 1466 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...