Second Skin Audio

Orion HCCA 12.2?

TheNewbie

I wish someone that owned one, or knew someone that owned one would get on haha, im wanting to know, is this sub a SPL beast.

Yes, they're a decent SPL sub, but i also think theres alot better out there for the price. and as people have said before, make sure your electrical system is up scratch and youll have an amp that will give it its full potential, as well as a properly designed and built box or its a waste of time and money.. and yeah the HCCA's might be power hungry but generally the louder you want your system the more power you have to feed it haha

Lol yeah i would agree, im just trying to find a really good SPL sub, something to raddle my car. Before i start to look for amps ect so i can try and match it you know what i mean?? Do you have any suggestions on a different sub then? More bang for the buck.

Check out my build log:

http://www.stevemead...60#entry1958353

Different folks have different strokes.

My last build was 2 Orion HCCA 12.2s with 2 Orion 2500D amplifiers.

The one HCCA 12.2 you are considering is a major step-up from a CVX. If you can't power it correctly, then there isn't really a point of getting it, since it'll sound crappy if you under-power it and don't have the electrical to back up the amp.

But if you end up getting one, it will definitely knock your socks off (if you have the power). My last build sometimes suffocated me..lol.

How much are you willing to spend? Because the HCCAs are actually pretty cheap compared to other mainstream brands. You should be able to get one used for around $300-$350 (that's how much I sold mine for), and a new one at the local dealers over here are about $450. You can also get the old 2006-2007 modal which is the same exact driver as the 2010 modal, they just changed the color of the dust cap in the 2010 modal to black instead of gold.

What do you have driving your Kickers now? Because you might just be able to get a better amp, rather than switching subs. The Orion will need at least 2000 watts rms to sound good. An Audioque 2200 would be optimum. And with that, you'd need to upgrade all your wiring (big 3 upgrade; look it up on youtube), and maybe get a new alternator and battery.

Again, going from CVXs to HCCAs is a big step. You're playing with the big boys now. haha.

1994 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Pioneer AVH-P5200BT

Hertz Mille MLK-165 Component System

Hertz Hi Energy HCX-165, 6.5

Hertz Hi Energy HCX-690 (6x9s)

Audison Voce AV K6 Component System

Audison VRX 4.300

Audison VRX 2.250

Sundown 4500D

SMD 15"

XS Power D3400 (under hood) Three XS Power D3100 (trunk)

Monster XLN-201 RCAs

DC Power Engineering 390XP H/O Alternator

I have a small ext cab. With one KickerCVX, about to get a hondacrx soon, bigger cab so i want more bass. But How well do you think the orion would compare to the cvx that i have now? Haha prob not even close i wouldn't think.

Check out my build log:

Lol yeah i would agree, im just trying to find a really good SPL sub, something to raddle my car. Before i start to look for amps ect so i can try and match it you know what i mean?? Do you have any suggestions on a different sub then? More bang for the buck.

check out the sites sponsors theres plenty of great suppliers, but really you need to understand theres so much more to it than you think.. most times your amp will cost more than your sub, 0 gauge wire is pricey, if your a begginer im guessing youll need to get someone to install it, then batteries, fuses and getting a box built it all adds up.. rather than everyone trying to explain things to you your best to go see a local audio shop and let them explain just how much is involved for what your wanting.

subs are like your dick, worthless unless you know how to use it properly 8)

moral of the story, you sound like you dont know just how much is involved, so dont go throwing money on anything until you properly look into every aspect of an SPL system

Yes, they're a decent SPL sub, but i also think theres alot better out there for the price.

The HCCA is well beyond "descent." It's the best mainstream SPL sub on the market. And if you shop around, you can probably find the 2006 modal, which is the same exact thing as the current 2010 modal, for about $300; maybe even $250. For the power these things can handle, those prices are hard to beat.

The only problem I had with the HCCAs is that they really don't like over 2500 rms. So that Audioque 2200 would be optimal.

1994 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Pioneer AVH-P5200BT

Hertz Mille MLK-165 Component System

Hertz Hi Energy HCX-165, 6.5

Hertz Hi Energy HCX-690 (6x9s)

Audison Voce AV K6 Component System

Audison VRX 4.300

Audison VRX 2.250

Sundown 4500D

SMD 15"

XS Power D3400 (under hood) Three XS Power D3100 (trunk)

Monster XLN-201 RCAs

DC Power Engineering 390XP H/O Alternator

My last build was 2 Orion HCCA 12.2s with 2 Orion 2500D amplifiers.

The one HCCA 12.2 you are considering is a major step-up from a CVX. If you can't power it correctly, then there isn't really a point of getting it, since it'll sound crappy if you under-power it and don't have the electrical to back up the amp.

But if you end up getting one, it will definitely knock your socks off (if you have the power). My last build sometimes suffocated me..lol.

How much are you willing to spend? Because the HCCAs are actually pretty cheap compared to other mainstream brands. You should be able to get one used for around $300-$350 (that's how much I sold mine for), and a new one at the local dealers over here are about $450. You can also get the old 2006-2007 modal which is the same exact driver as the 2010 modal, they just changed the color of the dust cap in the 2010 modal to black instead of gold.

What do you have driving your Kickers now? Because you might just be able to get a better amp, rather than switching subs. The Orion will need at least 2000 watts rms to sound good. An Audioque 2200 would be optimum. And with that, you'd need to upgrade all your wiring (big 3 upgrade; look it up on youtube), and maybe get a new alternator and battery.

Again, going from CVXs to HCCAs is a big step. You're playing with the big boys now. haha.

Haha it is def a big step up there, i only have a 2000.1 crunch amp, so i'll def have to upgrade that, it was plenty to push my cvx, but once i upgrade to this sub, if i upgrade to this sub i'll have to get a better amp, as well as another battery, im hopping i won't have to get a better altenator, not sure how i would tell if i would, and a cap would help as well. That CVX blew my friends away, now i want this HCCA to blow me away :)

Check out my build log:

check out the sites sponsors theres plenty of great suppliers, but really you need to understand theres so much more to it than you think.. most times your amp will cost more than your sub, 0 gauge wire is pricey, if your a begginer im guessing youll need to get someone to install it, then batteries, fuses and getting a box built it all adds up.. rather than everyone trying to explain things to you your best to go see a local audio shop and let them explain just how much is involved for what your wanting.

subs are like your dick, worthless unless you know how to use it properly 8)

moral of the story, you sound like you dont know just how much is involved, so dont go throwing money on anything until you properly look into every aspect of an SPL system

Yeah i understand that, i know how to install it all actually, i have someone that knows exactly how to build the box, the wire i'll buy, the amp, sub, and battery i'll have to purchase. That's why i have a job :)and since im in high school, bills don't come first :) my SPL cravings do :D, thanks man for the input. appreciate it.

Check out my build log:

Archived