A friend of mine rooted his DroidX and hated it.

Caused more problems than it was worth. He has an iOS look-a-like and it froze all the time.

But, yes, Android is based off of a Linux Kernel. Thus, "ROOTING" is the term given to jail-breaking it. A ROOT user in Linux terms is the highest level of administrator.

You especially need to be careful as a root user on a phone because you do have the capability to accidently delete portions of the phones OS.

Rooting didn't cause the problems. Mods caused the problems. You can root a phone and do no mods and the phone will be exactly the same but rooted. That's as ignorant as saying vented enclosures are boomy and should be avoided for SQ. IJS.

Get a Samsung Galaxy phone that you can push images into. you gotta work hard to hard brick one of these.

Edited by srp365

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

Rooting didn't cause the problems. Mods caused the problems. You can root a phone and do no mods and the phone will be exactly the same but rooted. That's as ignorant as saying vented enclosures are boomy and should be avoided for SQ. IJS.

Get a Samsung Galaxy phone that you can push images into. you gotta work hard to hard brick one of these.

Oh, yeah I know. Rooting just unlocks administrative features and applications.

It was the applications he hated, and honestly, he had never worked with Linux before, so this didn't help at all...

But, like I said, rooting gives features the retailer never intended to be available

Edited by PandorasCustoms

Chris - "The Apprentice" - Pandora's Box Customs

1994 Ford Explorer - "Midnight" - 4.0L SOHC

SoundStream PCX-1000D & Kicker S12L5

^true. It's a horrible racket.

These comanies enable so much on their devices, then providers do as much to limit them then charge you an arm and a leg to get access to it. Bastards.

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

As previously stated Rooting just gives you admin privileges, but flashing custom roms can add a whole new look, feel, and add greater speed to the device. I currently am running Darkslide 4.2 on my Droid X because of how fast it is.

I have made my phone to where it will not boot past the M logo a few times, but you can always SBF the phone back to stock and even verizon won't know that it was modded after a complete and full SBF back to stock.

Read read read is all I can say to any new inexperienced mod-er.

Good luck and god speed!

(always look for TBH or team black hat mods, they do some good work)

Edited by Maticus