06 Civic Build - New Build List on page 60

Now here's where the whole project got frustrating. I started the projector retros for this. I really honestly figured it was going to be pretty straight forward. Don't ask me why I thought that, I must have been drinking that night. I've been sitting on Blazer Fog Projectors for a while and of course these fog lights and have been thinking about how I was going to do this. I honestly for some reason thought that if I could just simply cut the Blazer Projectors in half, they would just simply fit in the fogs and I'd only have to glue them in, then follow with epoxy when level to seal them in place. Then when set, I was going to take them out of the brackets, level them upright and pour resin in there to fill to the bottom of the projector lens.

Here are the projectors.

DSC04666.jpg

DSC04667.jpg

I didn't take anymore pics, I was so frustrated after I was done with this I said F-IT! Or i just didn't think about it! Either way there aren't any!

But I cut one projector at the seam in the middle and when I got it cut out, realized that the bowl behind it was where the reflector was at. So I trimmed it out a bit, and then tried to put it in the fog light. NOPE! Too fat! While I could probably trim it down some, I'm still stuck with the fact that I cut the reflector out of the whole thing. So the next thing I did was take the second one and cut the tail end off of it. I cut about a half inch off the part where the bulb for the projector goes in. Then I trimmed it out a little to allow the hid to slide in and stay put. Lit it up and was NOT impressed! So I'm not sure if it was the projector or the HID but either way there wasn't much light output.

So I decided to admit defeat today, and just do away with the projectors and just be happy with the HIDs. Got the one bulb back in the fog light and turned it back on and it went on great! Looked good and then.................ZAP, POP!! The damn HID bulb blew! I could not believe it! So I was back to the regular fogs with the regular bulbs! I have to email Mike over at The Retro Fit Source and see if I can get a new bulb to replace it. After I get that all squared away, I'll be back with the HID's in the fogs and hope that they're not too bad on the road.

So continuing on with the project, I was getting a little pressure from my wife cause it was starting to get a little late and there was still bath time and night routines to do for the kids.

The next thing I did was Lexan the lenses. I knew I was going to have to take them out in order to do the projectors, and so I just planned to change the lenses out when I did that. So here's that!

DSC04668.jpg

DSC04669.jpg

DSC04670.jpg

DSC04671.jpg

DSC04672.jpg

DSC04673.jpg

What I did not do and should've done was take a picture of the difference between the two. The old lens was so brittle that I was afraid I was going to break it when I was taking it off. It's about 1/16" where the lexan lens is about 1/8". Big difference.

So next I routed the wires.

DSC04674.jpg

And that's really about as far as I got. Here's a pic with the bumper back on.

DSC04687.jpg

After getting inside, and decompressing a bit, I realized that I wired the lights in the wrong direction. There's a little plug harness on the passenger side with a single wire in it and that's supposed to be what the harness plugs into. Well I ran my wires down to the driver side. Sill me to think that they should go on the side where the power is, you know battery and even where the GOD DAYM SWITCH IS LOCATED INSIDE! Stupid me for thinking with some common sense! So anyway, easy fix I just have to cut the zip ties and flip flop the harness! I'll do it when I get the HID back and the headlights go in.

So the other project I did tonight was, finish a project I started a long time ago! The side markers.

If you will recall last week, or maybe the week before, I cut the tops of the wheel well liners off. Well that allowed me access to the side markers with no problem and without having to take off the wheel. I just have to turn it in order to be able to get my big arm in there. So I was able to get those wired up. It's not pretty and to be completely honest with you all, I'm a bit embarrassed about it. I will for sure go back in and re do this in a better way! I just simply cannot let this go like it is. But, as I said before, I was under the gun. Here are the pics.

Took the side trim piece all the way off, and found this hole to sting some wire through for my harness I made before. The blue wire is not my harness.

DSC04675.jpg

This is inside the top of the inside of the wheel well. Now this is part of why I want to re do it, is because this needs a grommet of some sort. For protection and looks.

DSC04676.jpg

DSC04677.jpg

Here's the harness fed through the side marker hole.

DSC04678.jpg

Side marker on!

DSC04679.jpg

Here's the harness going through. I ran it under that lip not on top. But it's got techflex and heatshrink on both ends. So it's semi protected. But not nearly enough.

DSC04680.jpg

DSC04681.jpg

Marker back in.

DSC04682.jpg

This is the other part I don't like. I used wire taps, but what I want done is to cut the wire, strip it, solder it, and then heat shrink it. Much cleaner, much nicer looking and then slide some loom back over it, and then tape it up. I kind of rushed this! I am ashamed! FAIL!

DSC04683.jpg

I did use a light meter to find the correct wire though. The passenger side is the brown wire, and the driver side is the blue wire, if anyone is wondering. The red wire is for the running lights, and the black I'm assuming is ground. There you have it.

DSC04684.jpg

I taped all that back up and it's all covered with electrical tape now.

Here's a crappy out of focus video in the garage.

th_MOV04686.jpg

Here's a better video outside after I was all done! This one gets all three lights, tail, side, and front. I'm pretty happy with it.

th_MOV04688.jpg

The thing I'm not really happy with is the lack of light. Although I know it's on me cause I tinted it, I think it should really shine through better. I'm going to go ahead and pick up some led lights for this and get those in there. That should make a big difference.

So that's what I got done today. So the only thing left to do now, is get the shrouds done, or redone I guess you could say, and get the retros in and aimed. Then put all that back together and wire it up. I'm guessing that may happen next weekend, but I think I have plans on Saturday so I'll have to make sure of what's going on before that happens. I'll work on the shrouds this week and get those refinished and fixed, then it'll be on to get the lights in and done! HID's need to go in as well. I'll need to get all four ballasts in and wired up. Headlights (2) and fogs (2). I also still need to wire the fogs up. Shouldn't take too long. I think I want to make those go on with the parking lights though. I'll have to look at how all that's going to have to wire up.

More to come very very very soon! Thanks for checking in! I have go get to bed now! Boot camp in the morning! Lost 8lbs in the last 2 weeks, and I've got a minimum of 2 - 7lbs to go by Christmas! I wanna blow that out of the water! 5am comes very early! Good night!

I forgot to add up there, that I'm probably going to be tinting the fog light lenses as well. Especially after the HID's go in! What do you all think!?!

I'd like to eventually get the covers, I think it's called lexani, that tints everything, but when your lights are on, it's like they're not tinted at all. My boy has them on his BMW and it looks sick! Dark in the day, but bright as normal at night. Brake lights are seen as normal as well! Something for down the road maybe!

A little stance update for you guys! Not the greatest pics, but I like the way it's sitting right now. Still could go lower in the rear, but the fronts have actually settled nicely and I think I may leave them there. Needs and alignment BADDDLLLLYYYY!!! But I'm not sure about Firestone anymore. They just don't seem to know what they're doing. Maybe I'll go to another shop and see if I get some different results.

IMG00788-20111014-0910.jpg

IMG00787-20111014-0909.jpg

Here's a little update for what's going on.

Ok so I got the old HID bulbs sent back yesterday and received an email this morning saying they're sending the new H3C's out today. I also got the Hella Projectors ordered just now, so Part II of the Fog Light retro will be coming soon. May not happen until after the audio starts (which will be the first part of November) but it will happen. I think it's gonna end up being one of those projects that I do in my spare time. Kind of like the Scan Gauge Pod. It's just about done, little sanding and then the finishing. Probably going to be CF Vinyl.

More to come very soon! Stay tuned!

Those rims are nice man!

What size is that hole you need a grommet for, I may have something you could use in my tool box. If you would like.

And off topic, what have you been doing to loose weight?

first! Nice updates! The fogs look good, sucks about the projectors though... Work looks good none the less :) Car has an awesome stance too! Makes me like civics more :)

I was looking at the projector kits, looks like I need to buy two extra head lights. Do you know on the bixenon projectors if you need the bixenon HID bulbs? It doesn't seem like it since the projector does the beam movement. Didn't know for sure.

my issue is going to be how big my head lights are, and the awkward shape lol. But the last page was very helpful.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/260803412866?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y

keep the work going

First, and not to just duck questions cause I do welcome them, but you seem to be a guy who wants to learn so I'm gonna help you with a great site for this stuff. It's called HID Planetand there's an overwhelming amount of information on there about HID's, projectors, and galleries etc. You could do yourself some good by looking at it and researching a lot on there. Great site!

Now onto your questions.

Why do you say you need two extra headlights? I only bought an extra set, cause I wasn't so sure about the install and if something went wrong, I at least had the originals to fall back on. In this case, I used the new headlights for the project and just kept the originals on. Once the project is done, they'll get swapped out!

Bi Xenon vs Xenon is basically this. There are two different ways to go about it. The Bi Xenon HID's have two bulbs in one basically. From what I've gathered in just a little research myself, and the one inside the other is how you get the "Bi" part of it. One is for the low beam and one for the high beam. Then there is a Xenon Bulb which only has the one beam in it, either high or low depending on which bulb you're replacing.

Next is the Projector which is the best way to go really. The projector is a "Bi" really. There is a mechanism in there that controls a flap. Let me see if I have any pics of it. Hang on. Nope sorry no picture. Anyway, it's a little flap in there that gives you the cutoff (the line on the top of the light beam, you'll see it if you search that site). When you engage your "high beam" it drops that flap allowing the entire HID bulb to be shown instead of part of it.

Not sure I explained that 100% correct, but I think that's what it is. I'll have to do some more looking into it when I get some time.

AS far as how big your headlights are, it's not an issue. Really doesn't even matter. The projectors are now the headlights and do all the work. The projector really only will now use the headlight housings for just somewhere to sit. That's my understanding anyway. The size of your lights don't make any difference. The project is still the same!

Like I said go check out the site, search around and look at some of the projects that have been done in there. You'll be surprised. Good luck!

that was my issue. I'm concerned with messing up the head lights and then not have anything lol. I'll be checking out that site for sure. It seems like putting projectors in, won't be as bad as I thought. Some really good friends of have a 'hydro dipping' station and I'll probably use that to do the pattern on the inside of the head light.

I'm running 'bixeon' bulbs right now, and it was a waste... Its just am actuator in the bulb housing the either moves the bulb in/out or up down (some companies call it hi/lo)

I just picked up a new job so hopefully I'll be able to start on this soon. Thank you for your input!

Those rims are nice man!

What size is that hole you need a grommet for, I may have something you could use in my tool box. If you would like.

And off topic, what have you been doing to loose weight?

Honestly I'm not sure. I can get one, I just didn't have any in the garage and I was kind of in a hurry. I think it's about an inch wide though. Thanks for the offer.

As for the weight loss. First thing I can say is I stopped soda. Some days I have maybe a 6 oz diet coke but most days I don't have any soda, just water. Second, cut portion sizes. Third, start eating healthier. I have chicken a lot, fish sometimes (wife isn't a seafood fan, :shrug: whatdaya gonna do.) brown rice NOT WHITE, quinoa if you can get some is great, gaba rice is another form of brown rice. Veggies! Lots of veggies. Annnnnnnnd TRX body blast monday, wednesday, and friday, with spin class on tuesday and thursday, and an occasional saturday bootcamp thrown in doesn't hurt either! :yahoo:

first! Nice updates! The fogs look good, sucks about the projectors though... Work looks good none the less :) Car has an awesome stance too! Makes me like civics more :)

I was looking at the projector kits, looks like I need to buy two extra head lights. Do you know on the bixenon projectors if you need the bixenon HID bulbs? It doesn't seem like it since the projector does the beam movement. Didn't know for sure.

my issue is going to be how big my head lights are, and the awkward shape lol. But the last page was very helpful.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/260803412866?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&_lwgsi=y

keep the work going

First, and not to just duck questions cause I do welcome them, but you seem to be a guy who wants to learn so I'm gonna help you with a great site for this stuff. It's called HID Planetand there's an overwhelming amount of information on there about HID's, projectors, and galleries etc. You could do yourself some good by looking at it and researching a lot on there. Great site!

Now onto your questions.

Why do you say you need two extra headlights? I only bought an extra set, cause I wasn't so sure about the install and if something went wrong, I at least had the originals to fall back on. In this case, I used the new headlights for the project and just kept the originals on. Once the project is done, they'll get swapped out!

Bi Xenon vs Xenon is basically this. There are two different ways to go about it. The Bi Xenon HID's have two bulbs in one basically. From what I've gathered in just a little research myself, and the one inside the other is how you get the "Bi" part of it. One is for the low beam and one for the high beam. Then there is a Xenon Bulb which only has the one beam in it, either high or low depending on which bulb you're replacing.

Next is the Projector which is the best way to go really. The projector is a "Bi" really. There is a mechanism in there that controls a flap. Let me see if I have any pics of it. Hang on. Nope sorry no picture. Anyway, it's a little flap in there that gives you the cutoff (the line on the top of the light beam, you'll see it if you search that site). When you engage your "high beam" it drops that flap allowing the entire HID bulb to be shown instead of part of it.

Not sure I explained that 100% correct, but I think that's what it is. I'll have to do some more looking into it when I get some time.

AS far as how big your headlights are, it's not an issue. Really doesn't even matter. The projectors are now the headlights and do all the work. The projector really only will now use the headlight housings for just somewhere to sit. That's my understanding anyway. The size of your lights don't make any difference. The project is still the same!

Like I said go check out the site, search around and look at some of the projects that have been done in there. You'll be surprised. Good luck!

that was my issue. I'm concerned with messing up the head lights and then not have anything lol. I'll be checking out that site for sure. It seems like putting projectors in, won't be as bad as I thought. Some really good friends of have a 'hydro dipping' station and I'll probably use that to do the pattern on the inside of the head light.

I'm running 'bixeon' bulbs right now, and it was a waste... Its just am actuator in the bulb housing the either moves the bulb in/out or up down (some companies call it hi/lo)

I just picked up a new job so hopefully I'll be able to start on this soon. Thank you for your input!

Thanks. Ya it's a lot of work. Trying to work with a guy now no a jig now, so i can rotate the projectors for the projectors without the housings being in the car. MUCH EASIER, if he'll help me on it. I need to try and get one made for the fogs too. I should have those new projectors and bulbs by mid next week! :clapping:

Update on progress! The latest is starting tonight. I'm gonna start taking it apart and getting things done. Gonna get the HID's in, get the old headlights out, and the new ones in. Hopefully by Sunday, the headlights will be done! I do still have to do a little work on the shrouds, but those will be ready by the time the headlights are done. If not, then I guess I'm driving the truck for a couple days next week.

Then the fogs will be the only things left. I'll be taking those off this weekend as well, that way I can have them out and ready when the projectors and new HID's get here next week. Now that I've got it down what I need to do, I should be able to get on it right away.

Still planning on the Audio Start the FIRST WEEK IN NOVEMBER!!!! Been having problems with some jackass on a couple different sites, so I wanted to make sure that was easy to read! Apparently not everyone is happy about my "full car build"! Oh well, such is life! Can't please everyone!

Anyway, More to come in a couple days! Stay tuned!

Archived