teamSPB Corsa build - 2 AA Arsenal 10's, 4th order bandpass, AudioSystems front end

• 2 weeks later...

After a quick wash

DSC04018.jpg

DSC04019.jpg

I took the car for a drive the other day and wasnt overly happy with the lights....although they were 100watt Ring Sportz Blue bulbs, they just didnt light up the road like they do in my Focus...I removed the headlight and saw that one of the bulbs was not sitting right and was the culprit of the poor light! But by then, I had ordered a set of HID's so thought I would try them out...which was quite lucky as one of the bulbs blew 3-4 days after sorting it lol!

After reading MANY stories about Corsa's suffering from dodgy HID's after a while, and realising that most people are conned into buying 'CANBUS' HID kits, the solution many people have is simple, buy a HID relay kit! This seems to solves all problems related to HID's flickering, not turning on etc etc...so with this in mind, I ordered a HID relay kit off ebay (which STILL hasnt turned up yet!), and make my own kit based off the ebay kit!...As the kit hasnt turned up yet, I made my own kit.

So armed with 2 relays (instead of one like the kit), some 35amp cable (rather than what looks like 10amp cable), 17amp cable, loom tape, solder, crimp connectors etc etc I set about running the lengths of cable so everything was hidden bar the relays.

Kit

DSC04053.jpg

Car was stripped down

DSC04047.jpg

DSC04049.jpg

DSC04059.jpg

DSC04054.jpg

LED was swapped also

DSC04052.jpg

Old H7 connector

DSC04057.jpg

Mounting the Ballasts...again I have seen SOOOOOOO many installs where people do not secure the ballasts properly or leave them just cable tied to anything close by (nothing wrong with cable tying but I like everything to be as stealth as possible)...instead, I used Rivnuts to secure the ballasts to the chassis leg underneath the headlight...its discrete, out the way, and properly secure!

DSC04061.jpg

DSC04062.jpg

DSC04064.jpg

DSC04065.jpg

DSC04066.jpg

DSC04067.jpg

Making the loom for the HIDs

DSC04068.jpg

DSC04069.jpg

DSC04070.jpg

Notice the grommit for the HID loom is also glued in place to prevent any water leaks/moisture build up

DSC04071.jpg

Cables marked up so I know what loom is doing what

DSC04072.jpg

DSC04073.jpg

It got late by the time I had finished so I didnt take any pics of the finished loom...but heres the end result with the lights

DSC04075.jpg

DSC04077.jpg

DSC04078.jpg

DSC04079.jpg

DSC04080.jpg

DSC04081.jpg

DSC04083.jpg

DSC04084.jpg

DSC04085.jpg

And the audio rebuild has begun!!!!

DSC04091.jpg

As shown previously, the install is now out and waiting for some new equipment to go in...this time it will be a bit more show friendly and sound output is not of major concern...this means a sealed setup, using powerful subs, and putting SQ and installation before anything else.

The system will undergo a COMPLETE rebuild....new subs, components, amps etc...more deadening will be added as well as some form of noise barrier etc to get some real world experience of noise barriers and what works etc

Heres whats been happening so far...

Box out

DSC03986.jpg

Test box in

DSC03987.jpg

The test subject in this instance is a B2 Audio REF12 in a 0.8cuft box. The recommendations from B2 are between 0.7-1.2cuft...we are right on the smallest side of things, however I was VERY suprised at the output attained by the single sub..but not only this, the quality behind the bass was suprisingly detailed and very fast. The impact the sub had was more than the pair of tens in here previously (which I guessed would happen especially with such low tuning on the 10s), and the REF12 played with authority down to around 35hz or there abouts! Not bad for a subwoofer who's manufacturers are SPL addicts! Things are looking up!

Time to start some work!

DSC03989.jpg

DSC03990.jpg

Around 8-10 layers later

DSC04022.jpg

Test arena!

DSC04086.jpg

DSC04087.jpg

The Kicker 3way crossover will be making way for something a bit better and upmarket!

DSC04088.jpg

The B2 Audio Quattro still powering the front end active which used to the the Gladen Audio XION165 components

DSC04090.jpg

Some more done on the car...

Box trimmed down and test fitted, although in this pic its not properly in the boot yet (lifted up on the right hand side)

DSC04098.jpg

At this point, we have no idea what to put in the boot of the car...all I know is I am SERIOUSLY impressed with the B2 REF12! The sound is very similar to the CDT QES1220 I tested as a benchmark years ago...its just as tight, but lacks a little on the lows in comparison to the CDT, however, the CDT was in the optimal box (around 0.7 or 0.8cuft). The REF12 is currently in a 0.8cuft box and the sub itself is MASSIVE...uses a 6spoke basket (same as the Ascendant Audio SMD but a 12" version), and a big motor! What I like about the sub is it has nice soft spiders with stitched tinsel leads, which helps with the responsiveness of the sub as it is very quick. Another requirement I have always had with my musical styles is the ability to reproduce LOW frequencies smoothly and effortlessly...so naturally, I have always preferred ported boxes. With this sub, one thing that really attracted me to it was the XMAX figure of 20mm...now with 40mm of movement, in a proper sized box, the lows should be pretty awesome for sealed standards!

Measuring the fibreglass box of the spare wheel well, we have 1.69cuft to play with....perfect! I now know I can go for any sort of install I like...whether it be 1 12, a pair of 10's, or even 2 12s! Now, with my background being heavily SPL/Street bass orientated, im thinking a pair of 12's will be in order!

Heres the B2 REF12 showing its backside off...

DSC04097.jpg

DSC04096.jpg

DSC04094.jpg

Front doors being stripped

DSC04107.jpg

DSC04108.jpg

DSC04106.jpg

Out with the old AudioSystems XION165s! AWESOME components! Hand on heart, these are some of the best components I have ever heard! Will definitely miss them....but hey...onwards and upwards!!

We have decided to go for a pair of 12s in this build now, as I said in a previous post, we are bass heads after all!

This meant working with the initial wheel well volume of 1.7cuft, we had to raise the box by approx 2inches to get the volume to 2cuft...then we added some extra height to help position the subs etc...its easier to take away volume than add it at a later date!

DSC04099.jpg

DSC04100.jpg

DSC04101.jpg

DSC04103.jpg

DSC04104.jpg

More CSM added over the FG paste

DSC04112.jpg

Dont think we will work on it too much now as I got a few other cars to crack on with now...

• 3 weeks later...

Right, thought I would update this as its been a while...a few more bits have been decided upon...

Pioneer P80RS headunit with full steering wheel control functionality

Gladen Audio SQL 165 components (not sure if I will be running these active or passive yet)

2 B2 Audio REF12 12" subs

Mosconi AS300.2 amplifier

The rest is still to be decided upon yet!

The box has made progress as well...baffle is 1" thick..it is SOLID!!!

DSC04147.jpg

DSC04148.jpg

DSC04150.jpg

The B2 REF12 in more detail

DSC04151.jpg

DSC04152.jpg

DSC04155.jpg

DSC04156.jpg

DSC04157.jpg

Threaded inserts

DSC04159.jpg

DSC04160.jpg