Second Skin Audio

Enclosure for 2 xl 18s

mrd6

So i've been debating over this with myself for awhile and cant decide whether or not to do two layers 3/4 in layers of birch ply on all the walls of the enclosure with some bracing or do a single layer with even more bracing. (double or triple front baffle either way.

Pros of double layer being that I know it will be stronger and resist flex (higher efficiency) with less bracing

Cons being that i bought some wood today and was reminded of how heavy and expensive this box is going to be.

I had originally decided on double layering all the walls but am now questioning it again so any input on this would be nice. The box design is below, this will be built outside my truck then slid into the back and walled off a bit behind the b-pillar. Subs will be on about 5k, either a dc 5k, crescendo bc5500, or any other comparable amp I can get the best deal on.

Here's a shot of the back of the box design with no back wall (doesnt show bracing which will be threaded rod)

backofbox.jpg

Team NorthWestSPL

i had a pretty sturdy box when i had 1 XL 18.

it was 1.25" shell (2 layers of 5/8 mdf) & a double baffle that was 1.5" thick (2 layers of 3/4" mdf).

didnt have any issues with flex, box was heavy & sturdy as hell. :drinks:

if ur walling it id do a 1.5" shell & 2.25" flushmount baffle. =]

m_8e0e9deb0e2a020a7ff1bf0d3a6c3306.jpgth_140x100square.jpgth_140x100rev2animated.gifsoundigital.pngth_Banner_140x100.jpgn221468318568_2854.jpg

8_RedDevillogo.pngteamtexflex-1.jpg

Archived