Sonic Electronix

F150 build Battery or ALT???? help please

Should I get New Alt or battery?

Ok so I have a question about getting a new battery(xs d3400) or H/O alt.. I have a 2000 Ford F150 xt cab... Im running a 2500 watt system( JL 1000/1 on 13w6,,JL 500/1 on two 10w3,, and a JL 300/4 on highs and mids... I know thats not 2500 watts but gives me a little room to play with because my highs and mids aint doing the job right now.. I have a stinger battery Im going to put in back but I havent done it yet not sure how to hook it up yet(under hood batt + to + on back batt and same with - to - or ground back batt to frame???)... But anyway I hooked it all up today(except stinger batt) and it sounds like SH&* the 13w6 sounded way better by itself so Im guessing its all not getting enough power... by the way I am running 0awg wire from battery under hood... but it is a cheap $90 dollar battery I bought 3-4 years ago from Autozone when I was only running a 700 watt system... So my question is can I get a xs d3400 battery under hood and put the stinger battery in back and run all my stuff off stinger batt without getting a H/O alt?????(my alt is stock by the way) would that fix the problem or am I ultimately going to have to get new alt(not a problem but alt would have to wait 2 months) ALSO I DO NOT HAVE THE BIG 3 done Im a little scared to do it( I do understand BIG 3 would help out alot but id rather pay a mechanic to work on my truck so if they screw it up there fixing it if I screw it up Im SOL)... Please chime in any advice would help... like i said I dont mind getting new alt in 2 months but cant afford to do both right now...

how bad is your voltage drop right now?

Dont listen to kranny, he bought an alt of ebay :ehh:

you should be able to get away with just a new battery.. do the big 3 deep cycle battery should be good :good:

2 Fi BTL N2 18s Fully LoadedSundown Audio NS-1Kenwood 845 HU Clarion EQ4 Juicebox 3100sKnu Wire"Big 3"Mechman 270a156.3dBTeam GG.

I havent checked that yet it was getting to dark and mosquitos was out pissing me off hahaha but all I have is a cheap DMM not sure how accurate it is so Im not sure yet.. but if this helps I turned the radio on for 10 secs maybe 20 tops (engine not running) to see if everything powered up right and when I went to crank my truck it barely started

And another thing.. dont pay a shop to do it. Read up on tutorials on here its easy to do big three and that way IF you have problems YOU know how to work on it..

2 Fi BTL N2 18s Fully LoadedSundown Audio NS-1Kenwood 845 HU Clarion EQ4 Juicebox 3100sKnu Wire"Big 3"Mechman 270a156.3dBTeam GG.

alt, if you can afford it, always get an alt first.

just my opinion. id rather have a steady 14.4 than a steady 12.9.

and do the big three yourself. if you can install a bunch of amps you can do a big three.

Edited by Wood

If the 6500 will fit I suggest getting that over the 3400. My 6500 is super beast. But I have a newer body style so not sure if 6500 will fit.

2006 F-150

4 DC XL M2 18's Walled Daily Driver

XS Power

4 DC 3.5kw

Team DC

Team S.P.L.

Lot of Audio Technix and 1/0

DC Audio Dealer

American Bass Dealer

XS Power Dealer

Audio Technix Dealer

DWRIGHT-1-1.jpg

I havent checked that yet it was getting to dark and mosquitos was out pissing me off hahaha but all I have is a cheap DMM not sure how accurate it is so Im not sure yet.. but if this helps I turned the radio on for 10 secs maybe 20 tops (engine not running) to see if everything powered up right and when I went to crank my truck it barely started

Junk the Garbo stock battery!

alt, if you can afford it, always get an alt first.

just my opinion. id rather have a steady 14.4 than a steady 12.9.

I would almost always get batteries first. Reserve>charging.

Although the 2 work hand in hand, you can't charge your amp with your alt so I will almost always get barreled first, as your alt splits it's amperage between the batteries it's charging if I'm not mistaken, just takes a little longer to charge them to full capacity.

2006 F-150

4 DC XL M2 18's Walled Daily Driver

XS Power

4 DC 3.5kw

Team DC

Team S.P.L.

Lot of Audio Technix and 1/0

DC Audio Dealer

American Bass Dealer

XS Power Dealer

Audio Technix Dealer

DWRIGHT-1-1.jpg

Dont listen to kranny, he bought an alt of ebay :ehh:

you should be able to get away with just a new battery.. do the big 3 deep cycle battery should be good :good:

Haha I damn sure wont buy an alt off ebay no offense Kranny.. but I was burnt once off ebay never again.. Have you or anybody you know done the big 3 on a 2000 F150 wondering how difficult it is damn sure dont want to be cutting into the wrong wires.. I do appreciate the help and quick responses guys