Sonic Electronix

hey guys

my dad has a 1979 porsche 911 sc and is putting a system in it, well already has a system, and as i have become more proficient in the field than him i came to realize that in 1979 he probably has around a 60-90 amp alt, maybe even lower considering its a "performance" car. anyways i told he should probably look into that because his mids and high amps and all his comforts are probably more than what the alternator does comfortably. does anyone know a company that manufactures a high output alternator for this model of car?

thanks

chevrolet all day er day.

'81 camaro z28 performance

'03 silverado ext cab show and go

Why add all that weight to a "sports car" ? Mids and highs are understandable, but a full system? why add the weight of a an extra full size person into the equation? Did your dad get a porsche to look nice, or did he get it to be able to spin the tires in 3rd gear?

Thats just me. I wouldn't weigh down my lamborghini murcielago...well that is if I had one.

But anyways, I did a little eBay searching and couldn't find anything except direct OEM replacements. Maybe shoot a call to MechMan or DC i am sure they can make you like a bracket or something to "make-one-fit" .

Worth a call. I know its not the BEST thing to do, but you could always have someone rebuild your alternator. But looking on ebay the OEM replacements are like $300 or more... some I saw were $700. So rebuilding one and having it fail would be a bitch. I can only imagine a High Output one would be through the roof pricing.

3d7304fe.jpg

1/0 Power Wire All Around + Big 3 - $140

Rockford Fosgate T2500-1BD - MSRP $1800

(4) Memphis M3 10" Subwoofers 1600watts $300ea. = $1200

XS D6500 $245.65

PIONEER AVH-P5200DVD 7" Head Unit = $430

Soundstream SC-6T Component 6.5" FRONT $60

Pioneer TS-A1673R 6.5" REAR $85

A Bangin system! = PRICELESS!

well the alt is hooked to the fan, so there is no bracket that you make, if you noticed non of them had pulleys. also its just his car he loves it, he isnt putting that much weight in it, only 2 8's are going in on a tiny jl 600xd amp, hes taking out some speakers and possibly one of the mids amps. its not going to add that much weight..definetly less than a person. and the 1979 porsche 911 sc doesnt spin the tires in third without alot of upgrades, fuck sorry i mean engine swap. and thats not an option, unless he steals it haha an upgrade would be like 10 grand.

he messaged mechman and they just said no. and im very scepticle about sending the alt in to have it "rebuilt". plus i looked at rebuilds and the max is 120 amps. idle output probably is in the pooper and he usually drives his car in traffic.

also any recommendations on how to upgrade electrical? the batter right now is in the front, and alt in the back... sooo relocate battery or fork out the money for all that gauge

Edited by nickers

Hm well yeah rebuilding the alt is not a good option for any car, but yeah I have no idea how the Porsche Alts work.

I'd say big 3 and biggest XS battery that you can fit under the hood and you should be fine.

3d7304fe.jpg

XS D6500 $245.65

key here is for lightweight though right so i dont want the biggest xs.

Porsche_911_carrera_turbo_build_by_AMS_Performance_09.jpg

and if youd like to know how they work i shall share with you. the alternator fits inside the center of the fan, there is a pulley that spins the alt, but it also spins the fan. this setup is not very good for alt performance because if you can see in the pic there is barely any room for airflow to the alt so the alt heating up and voltage drops are a common problem. Basically there is no way to just have a bracket made for a nice HO alt.

Edited by nickers

key here is for lightweight though right so i dont want the biggest xs.

Porsche_911_carrera_turbo_build_by_AMS_Performance_09.jpg

and if youd like to know how they work i shall share with you. the alternator fits inside the center of the fan, there is a pulley that spins the alt, but it also spins the fan. so basically there is no way to just have a bracket made for a nice HO alt.

Anything can be done with a piece of steel and the right tools my friend. But labor on that would be through the roof.

But yeah I forgot about the engine being in the back, its not every day I drive my Lambo :shrug:

So wait, your systems going in the FRONT of the car? God damn exotic cars are backwards. LMAO.

I dont see a need for an upgraded alternator, hit up Nathan from XS power. His email is [email protected] ( dont quote me on that look it up yourself cuz im not 110% sure thats it) or just find him on the forum and he will tell you the best battery for the amount of power youll be needing.

And 1/0 isnt that expensive either...you might spend like 50$ on it .. Usually you can find it for around 2.50 a foot. Or look in the For Sale section and you might be able to find it a bit cheaper. Keep in mind youll also need fusing and such.

Big 3 for sure, an XS batt to cover the amps/wattage you'll be drawing and you should be more than fine.

3d7304fe.jpg

XS D6500 $245.65

no no just the battery is in the front, and engines in back. there is really not much to gather inspiration from though as most people put the subs in the hood trunk, however there are barely any effing holes in the firewall soooo no basically its like stuffing a sub in completely airtight trunk... stupid yes. the subs are going where the back seats are, probably fiberglassing, with grown up kids there is no need for the back seats any way.

its really sad my dad loves working on his car, his motorbike, and helpin me out, but he never has time due to work and commitments around the house, my build is sort of coming to an end and time i take his build into my hands. I love this guy and the least i can do is build him a decent setup, little does he know ive got alot of ideas in my mind.

Why the fuck would you put subs in that car..assuming they're going in the front of the car just makes it sound fucking retarded, not to be a dick, but I hope you can't get one so you don't put anything in it.

c'mon now, if i was shooting an 8 year old, it wouldnt be MY 8 year old.

i recently got a Pyle PL1590BL and i was building an enclosure for it tuned to 25 hz. i didn't have any tools to cut a circle so i hit it with a big hammer.

2003 Infiniti G35 Sport Sedan

Build in Progress

no ive already stated that they are going where the back seats are... putting them in the front "trunk" is yes fucking retarded. my dad only got 2 8" jl w3's.. running from a jl 600/1 xd. he likes his music but hes told me "its lacking any sort of bass". its a porsche yes, but its a 1979 911 targa with quite a few body scratches from well me when i was alot less careful. its his baby that he has had for longer than ive been alive. i cant see why not do a sub setup... explain to me why not? its not like im gonna slap a mdf box in the back and leave it unpainted like i would in my shitbox car. im probably gonna use alot of glass and birch, so if your thoughts were weight issues then it wont be an issue.

if your dad wants subs then he should get them. dont really understand why someone would tell another man his setup is dumb

2000 tahoe

orion hcca 15.4

kicker zx2500

2 JL 300/4s

infinity and kicker mids/highs

KHC1400 in back, stock upfront

dont ask about my HU

clarion EQ

kicker/fosgate rcas