How to set different ohms with dd-1

Let's see if I can explain this right... It's a simple thing, but many people get the wrong idea about the gain on an amp. It's something like this:

An amplifier is meant to amplify a signal of a certain strength, but you might not be giving it that much power through your RCAs. The gain is meant to compensate for the difference.

As an example:

Your amp needs 10 volts of input to achieve it's full continuous output.

Your head unit has an output of 4 volts all the way up.

That means that you need 2.5 times the power that your head unit produces in order to get full input the amp.

When the amp receives the full input signal it needs then, and only then, can it produce it's full output, no matter what the final impedance load is.

The gain is meant to multiply your input signal to match the input signal the amp requires, it doesn't have anything to do with the amp's output. Changing your final load on the amp may change the amount of output your amp has, but it does not change the fact that the amp requires 10 volts of input to work properly.

I hope you get what I'm trying to say.

Need Test Tones/Sine Waves? Click Here!

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd
Pioneer - Zapco - Hifonics - Sundown Audio - O2 Audio - RE Audio

Just Say No To Rear Speakers
Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

Hit me up on Facebook, if you want

Ok. I understand that now. I had the wrong idea from the beginning about gains then. Never just turned them all the way up before. But now I get it. Thanks for all the responses. I couldn't have been the only one wanting to know.