Are dash mounted speakers all bad ???

So, I've already got another set of Polk Audio 5 1/4" components on the way.... And I'm going to use the freaking things one way or another !

Personally, I think I can mount them in my dash, without a whole bunch of chopping and hacking.... okay... maybe a little ;)

But some of the guys on the truck forum keep trying to talk me into mounting my mids down by my freaking feet, in the kick panels (a total bee-otch to do in the kicks of an F150 BTW !) And they insist that the "PLD" (whatever TF that's all about) will be lousy, with my second set of mids in my dash. (I already have a set in the stock door spots).

Now, I'm not a straight up SQ guy.... nor do I think I will ever be. IMPO, having enough power, enough speakers, properly crossed over, and a good balance between subs, mid-bass, and mids/highs, is SQ enough for for me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, is having an extra set of mids in my dash just going to wreck the sound of my whole setup ? Really ?

Your opinions please.

Fish

PS, I know some of you guys do these super sweet fiberglass doors, with like 4 mids, a couple mid-bass, and 8 tweets or something crazy..... like space is no object ! I'm envious. But I'm not capable of doing that kind of stuff, nor can I afford to have it done. But one more set of mids in the dash sounds pretty doable....

Nobody here has dash mounted speakers that they'd care to comment on ???

Fish

So, I've already got another set of Polk Audio 5 1/4" components on the way.... And I'm going to use the freaking things one way or another !

Personally, I think I can mount them in my dash, without a whole bunch of chopping and hacking.... okay... maybe a little ;)

But some of the guys on the truck forum keep trying to talk me into mounting my mids down by my freaking feet, in the kick panels (a total bee-otch to do in the kicks of an F150 BTW !) And they insist that the "PLD" (whatever TF that's all about) will be lousy, with my second set of mids in my dash. (I already have a set in the stock door spots).

Now, I'm not a straight up SQ guy.... nor do I think I will ever be. IMPO, having enough power, enough speakers, properly crossed over, and a good balance between subs, mid-bass, and mids/highs, is SQ enough for for me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, is having an extra set of mids in my dash just going to wreck the sound of my whole setup ? Really ?

Your opinions please.

Fish

PS, I know some of you guys do these super sweet fiberglass doors, with like 4 mids, a couple mid-bass, and 8 tweets or something crazy..... like space is no object ! I'm envious. But I'm not capable of doing that kind of stuff, nor can I afford to have it done. But one more set of mids in the dash sounds pretty doable....

Numbers ? As in DB's ?

I'm just trying for a little more mids, to keep up with the rest of my system. I'm not a hard-core SPL guy, if that's what you mean.... nor an SQ snob ;) I'd just like to have a pretty nice SQL system, for a daily driver. I think I'm kind of already there now.... It's just that my new sub set up is putting out more than my current mids/highs, and mid-bass drivers can keep up with. I mean, it's not WAY off.... but I'm purposely being nit-picky :)

Fish

if its done right, it will work, if your going for numbers do some testing, my buddys blazer looses .8 with his right front dash speaker out