Crown Amplifier for 12" type r

I have a new twelve inch type R I want to use with my sony speaker system and I was thinking about buying a Crown amplifier to run the sub. I was looking at the CDi series but i have many questions that I could not find answers to on crown's website.

First, Can I just use RCA splitters to send the signal to my sony stereo and crown amp? Or does the crown have RCAs out?

Second, I am looking find an amp on ebay or somewhere for around $300. Would the xti series be any better than the CDi? and do both take RCA input?

I just need some amp that puts out 500 watts that accepts RCA input so if you guys know of any other cheaper or better brands please let me know. The box is already all built but would a plate amp work? Thanks in advance

Edited by mken4392

Crowns are great amplifiers. The CDI1000 in particular is a good amplifier and has lots of flexibility. Not to mention they are built very well Built in DSP, with a good amount of processing power. The CDi doesn't have RCA inputs however. They are balanced input and pro stuff has a lower input sensitivity so you will also need a signal line amplifier to bump that signal level up

The I am not familiar with the XTi, but I think it is like The CDi lines little brother. I think a CDi1000 is a bit overkill for your application I think. You probably wont need much if any of that processing and it's a lot of power for a single Type R.

I'd go with a plate amp like the previous poster mentioned. It will be a cheaper, and you will have RCA inputs therefore not needing a line amp.

If you are dead set on using a pro amp, Go with a QSC ISA series amp. I have a ISA280 powering a 15" Type R right now and I'm running it at 8 ohms bridged and getting decent-good output out of it (needs a new box). It is a little more straight forward amplifier that's cheaper and will probably do exactly what you want.

So here's the deal. I bought an XTi1002 last week. it'sawesome!

The XTi1002 is the very close to a CDi1000. Only difference is the XTi doesn't have phoenix connector for inputs and doesn't have the 70v output option. The XTi also has the option to use Speakons connectors for the output. The XTi is more suited for touring whereas the CDi is more of an installed sound amplifier.

AS for that QSC, that's probably what you want since it already has RCA inputs. Otherwise you'd need a line amplifier and a good one of those will run you around 100 for a power supply and the line amp.

I wouldn't put Crown as the "best" either. It's all a matter of opinion. If you are talking in terms of build quality, QSC is one of the best. They are built like a brick shithouse. QSC does quality control by throwing an amp off a 3 story roof then inspecting to see what needs to be made better. No lie

So here's the deal. I bought an XTi1002 last week. it'sawesome!

The XTi1002 is the very close to a CDi1000. Only difference is the XTi doesn't have phoenix connector for inputs and doesn't have the 70v output option. The XTi also has the option to use Speakons connectors for the output. The XTi is more suited for touring whereas the CDi is more of an installed sound amplifier.

AS for that QSC, that's probably what you want since it already has RCA inputs. Otherwise you'd need a line amplifier and a good one of those will run you around 100 for a power supply and the line amp.

I wouldn't put Crown as the "best" either. It's all a matter of opinion. If you are talking in terms of build quality, QSC is one of the best. They are built like a brick shithouse. QSC does quality control by throwing an amp off a 3 story roof then inspecting to see what needs to be made better. No lie

Just remember, the GX series from QSC are non-bridgeable, so you will only use one channel. Maybe put a set of high speakers on the first channel with the built in HPF/LPF...but if you have an external crossover

POTATO!