06 Civic Build - UBL #1 - Performance and Audio

Time to separate. As you can see the plastic on the table proved to be a little bit of a problem. While I was dabbing the resin on, and moving things around, the plastic wrinkled underneath it, and created these ripples. May not be a problem but we'll see.

DSC05138.jpg

Houston, we have separation!

DSC05139.jpg

And this is what we're left with. The edges need some work, much like the last pan I made. I'll deal with that later.

DSC05140.jpg

DSC05141.jpg

DSC05142.jpg

That's about as far as I got with the tablet. I'll have to make some more time to work on it tomorrow.

Now then, between doing that, and the next project I had decided I'd had enough of my damn work bench being so mess. Can't find anything, waste a lot of time looking, so it was time to get organized!

After that I started on the next project. I was planning on doing this project and the tablet project at the same time, but it just didn't work out that way. Oh well!

So this is the start of the a-pillars. The Mid Range and Tweeters will go up here. I didn't want to just make a couple of plates, or rings, and just glue them on, and I had been thinking about this for a while, but I wanted to do something a little bold, and a little classy, and within uniform as well. I don't quite think it's gonna work out that way. But we'll have to wait and see what happens when I get to that point.

Here we go!

Let's take a gander at the equipment. Hertz Mille ML700 3" mid range. Hertz Mille ML 280s Signature Series tweeters.

DSC05143.jpg

DSC05144.jpg

Damn it these are gorgeous!

DSC05145.jpg

DSC05146.jpg

DSC05147.jpg

DSC05148.jpg

So I started drawing out and measuring for the panel these are going to go on. Somewhat of an eight looking panel. Like I said I wanted it a little bit different.

DSC05150.jpg

Then it was time for my little trim router.

DSC05151.jpg

DSC05152.jpg

DSC05153.jpg

DSC05154.jpg

VIOLA! Little snow men! Party!

DSC05155.jpg

Then it was time to start placing them. This was so extremely time consuming cause nothing seemed to look right. I bet I played with this for 2 hours.

DSC05156.jpg

Had to remove some material.

DSC05157.jpg

DSC05158.jpg

Time to turn these snowmen into some swiss cheese!

DSC05159.jpg

Marked where the screw holes were at. This is material that needs to stay in here so the screws can go in, obviously. But the rest of it will be trimmed out and angled so that they can breath a bit better.

DSC05160.jpg

DSC05161.jpg

Then trimmed the back sides.

DSC05162.jpg

DSC05164.jpg

Next I hot glued the panels in place! Mmmmm!

DSC05165.jpg

DSC05166.jpg

Test fitted!

DSC05167.jpg

They're not too bad, but I want them angled a little higher. I've got it out again, and had to take out some more material in the back of the a pillar, and now I can glue em back in with a higher angle.

DSC05171.jpg

From the driver perspective.

DSC05172.jpg

I forgot to talk about the dilemma. So my design thought in adding the extra room around the mid range and tweeter was to add another layer on top of it. What I wanted to do was end up with a little strip around each driver and have that be orange carbon fiber vinyl. Hertz is black and orange, is why I wanted orange. It's bold, but it's not much and would end up a classy look I think. Not over bold. Now, I don't see how I'm going to be able to do that. So I'm a little stumped on this one. The whole pillar is planned to be wrapped in black suede. I'm sure I'll figure something out. Maybe i won't be able to do the orange cfv. Not sure!

So that's about it today. I have to glue this pod back on tomorrow, and do the passenger side tomorrow. Then it's glass time!

Feel free to comment on these pics in my build thread. The link is in my signature. Thanks for tuning in. More tomorrow!

So, day 3 of this vacation week! I'm very pleased with what I'm about to share with you guys! I pretty much left off where I was at yesterday with the A Pillars, but that took me quite a long time to get to where I am with them now. Pleased! I spent the better part of today on them and aiming, and gluing, and cutting and re gluing, and re aiming,and re gluing, and so on and so forth! I finally got a good overall aiming on them, and I'm pretty happy with the way they sit now. I'll go through the pics for you.

If will recall when I left off last night I wasn't so sure about my design and whether or not I was going to be able to get the cfv in there or not. I decided on this as a finishing.

I'm going to make a plate that will sit over the speaker rings, and yet be under the mid range and tweeters themselves. That panel will be made out of 1/8" ply, I have it laying around. Anyway, It's going to be just a touch bigger than the actual rings. That will be covered in cfv now. The suede will cover as normal, right down to the rings. Then the cfv plate will go over the top of it and finish it off. The mid range and tweeters will hold it in place when they attach to the panel and speaker ring. Here are the pics.

DSC05173.jpg

DSC05174.jpg

DSC05175.jpg

DSC05176.jpg

DSC05177.jpg

DSC05178.jpg

DSC05179.jpg

DSC05180.jpg

DSC05181.jpg

DSC05194.jpg

Full view!

DSC05195.jpg

Together side by side!

DSC05196.jpg

Now it's time for some glassing. First they need to get covered. Some red grill cloth, spray glue, staples, and patience outta do it!

DSC05197.jpg

Now I've tried this a couple other times, and failed miserably with it. We'll see how much I've learned over the last couple years.

DSC05198.jpg

DSC05199.jpg

DSC05200.jpg

DSC05201.jpg

DSC05202.jpg

DSC05203.jpg

Covered, and ready to go!

DSC05204.jpg

Time to glass! Well resin anyway!

DSC05205.jpg

I had to make a little platform, what you see in the middle in the picture above, cause the pillars don't stand up, or do they stay any sort of upright. Would have made it a pain to brush.

DSC05206.jpg

DSC05207.jpg

First layer of resin on! Stayed tight for the most part, looks good, cloth is saturated. I'm calling this a success!

DSC05208.jpg

DSC05209.jpg

DSC05210.jpg

DSC05229.jpg

Gotta get those covers off, and then back out for a second layer.

DSC05229.jpg

DSC05230.jpg

They came out pretty damn clean I think. I'm extremely pleased with them.

DSC05231.jpg

Not very good pics, but here's the second layer going on!

DSC05235.jpg

DSC05236.jpg

That's about it for the A Pillars tonight! I'll get some more work done with them tomorrow. Let's move on to the next project I worked on today!

I'm very very excited about this one and very happy with where I ended up today! I was very taken back by the tablet project last night, cause by the time I called it a night, I was really stumped as to how it was going to work together. So after working with it today and really taking my time and concentrating on it, and what I was doing and what step was next etc, I ended up the night on a very very pleasing note! Let's get to it!

So when I left off yesterday we had the pan with some extra on the sides and some trimming that was needed. Here's a little start off shot with the tablet in place.

DSC05211.jpg

The black lines were what needed to be trimmed a bit.

DSC05212.jpg

Got those done and as well, the top shaved off. I allowed about a half inch for the tablet to stick out, and after thinking about it now, I'm not 100% sure why. It's not like I'm going to be able to grab it from the top and pull it out. So I'm not sure yet if that was a good decision or not. We'll have to wait and find out a little later.

DSC05213.jpg

But here it is with the sides shaved and the top off.

DSC05214.jpg

DSC05215.jpg

Next it was time to put the base in. Remember that I'm not using the whole docking station, but just the base with the connection on it. I outlined before glassing, on the tape, where it needed to go. That made things a bit easier when it came time to do this.

DSC05216.jpg

Cut out and ready!

DSC05217.jpg

And there it is! IN! With hot glue for now, but it's in!

DSC05218.jpg

From the front!

DSC05219.jpg

Oh wait that was upside down!

DSC05220.jpg

So then I got the sharpie out, and started drawing on the old dash bezel!

DSC05221.jpg

Then I started cutting! I have to tell you this made me sad! Not the cutting, cause I'm ecstatic about that! No, I lost a good friend of mine right here! Mr. Dremel decided "EFF this" and up and quit on me mid cut! I was half way done and that was it! It shut off, never to restart again! Well thankfully, his brother was hanging out today, cause I quickly put him to work to complete the task! What a trooper his is! So much so that he's decided to stay now forever!

DSC05222.jpg

Then I trimmed the outside of the pan.

DSC05223.jpg

And got it set in the bezel! Oh this was such an exciting moment! WOW!

DSC05224.jpg

So I couldn't stand it! Had to get the tablet in right away! Right now! Oh and it sets it off! So happy!

DSC05225.jpg

Then I got out the Bit One DRC, and put it into place. I didn't get pics I guess, but I had to cut some of the bezel out in order to center it.

DSC05228.jpg

Both together!

DSC05227.jpg

As I said, very very happy!

Feel free to comment on anything you see here, in my build thread. It's in my signature. Thanks for tuning in!

Archived