Second Skin Audio

Kicker L7 noise

Hello guys and girls. I have a 15" L7 (one of the older silver ones) in a 4cu. ft. ported (32hz) enclosure. I have the sub and port facing towards the front. I mostly ride with my seats up, but there is at least about 6-7" between the closest part of my seat to the enclosure. I put my seats down the other day while cruising, and noticed that it has that infamous "flapping" noise when it's hitting. Sounds like something is up against the sub while its moving, but theres nothing there. I heard this is a problem on the Kickers. Time to rebuild, or just sell it?

If I can get it rebuilt, I will be selling it soon because I want to go with a 15" Orion HCCA.

oh by the way, the L7 is being powered now by a Crunch 1500@1ohm. Was running on a Hifonics BXi1210D@1ohm since I bought the sub. Was making the noise before I switched amps (due to my HF getting jacked)

If anyone wants to hear it, I can take a vid of it if needed.

Edited by Ignantfi3d

1996 Vw Jetta

Crunch 1500watt

1- Kicker 15" L7 @ 1ohm in a 4cu. ft. Ported Enclosure Tuned to 32Hz.

4- 6.5" Menace Door Speakers &

2- Menace super tweeters in the dash

139.11db @ 40hz (6/2010..old amp setup)

So its an 04' model? I had a 04 12L7 the cone broke off from spider. Yours prob did too or is in the process pf doing so... Pull the sub outta the box check all around where the spider meets the cone. This is what happened to me 3 times(I'm hardheaded). If this is the case and you want to try and repair it, get epoxy for plastic at walmart, autozone wherever but the longer the set time the stronger the bond will be. ie 60min epoxy would be stronger than 5min. GL

Edited by bassrace

145.9@40hz

145.3@34hz

big 3

X2 group 34

Deka Group 31

All 0/1 awg jl meta wire

Alpine CDA 7894

Orion HCCA D5000

2 AQ HDC312's

Crunch gpv1100.2 (for 6.5"s only)

AQ pro audio 6.5" - 3 sets

AQ supertweeters - 2 sets

2000 Slamry

i used to have an L7 15 like your describing and it would make a sound almost like it was bottoming out.. before i could figure out what that was i noticed one of the tensil leads had broken off.. i fixed it plenty of times but it always came back off a few weeks later.. even the solo x 12 i first had was an 04 and it did the same thing.. kicker made the newer subs come with longer tinsel leads so the problem doesnt happen any more.. ive never seen a recone for an L7 but even if there was youd prolly have the same problem come up.. id get something else...

I'll pull it out sunday and see whats going on behind it. If I get a chance in all of my madness tomorrow (putting car back together after crash), I'll take a vid of the noise.

I was thinking of sending it to fixmyspeaker.com just to get it repaired and sell it along with the enclosure. I'd only get it repaired to sell it for a bit more money or to use till I save up for the sub I want badly.....15" HCCA. yummmmm!

1996 Vw Jetta

Crunch 1500watt

• 2 weeks later...

So its an 04' model? I had a 04 12L7 the cone broke off from spider. Yours prob did too or is in the process pf doing so... Pull the sub outta the box check all around where the spider meets the cone. This is what happened to me 3 times(I'm hardheaded). If this is the case and you want to try and repair it, get epoxy for plastic at walmart, autozone wherever but the longer the set time the stronger the bond will be. ie 60min epoxy would be stronger than 5min. GL

Had the seats down again today, the damn noise is back. Now I'm thinking, do I pull up ALL of the surround, clean it off and start over? If I do, should I use something different than the CA glue? Can I use something like GOOP to seal it all up?

Or should I just pull it all up, use a wire brush to clean it, and re-do it all with the CA glue? This is getting on my last nerve as I had it on for a little bit earlier and did my first "napkin" trick. (hey, gotta start somewhere right?) lol

Also, I wanna seal off the trunk from the rest of the car. Can I use expanding foam around the sides and top, or will that just deteriorate?

1996 Vw Jetta

Crunch 1500watt