Mechman Alternators

Application question

We build a Denso conversion for your car, it will be the same unit that I have on my 2004 325is.

It's a bolt-in unit, fits in place of the factory unit, no modification to the car is required to fit the alternator on the engine. The install is no more difficult than replacing your factory unit and I have good instructions to go with it. Basic hand tools, 16 and 17mm sockets, 1-1/4" wrench, a flathead screwdriver and a couple Torx is all you need. It even indexes the idler pulley in the right spot and uses your OEM belt length.

It does require 2 things that are a little more difficult than your standard install as the battery is in the trunk and depending on which regulator you have you may need to tap a key-hot power source inside the car to turn it on (I did.). I am an experienced mechanic but had never taken my alternator off the BMW in the past, even figuring out how to take the alternator off and taking notes it only took just over an hour to replace the alternator. The wiring took longer, you need to have a 1/0 ground from the alternator to the chassis and from the output stud to the + of the battery, 4ga is OK for 220a.

Not trying to scare you off here, it's an easy enough install, but it may mean you have to run a 1/0 cable to the rear of the car to the battery and get power inside the car, it's not a simple plug-in like some units.

For pricing email your info to [email protected]. Units are available in 220a, 250a, 270a or 320a.

Edited by MECHMAN