Second Skin Audio

Kenwood KFC-W3009's

I managed to pick up 2 of these in a ported box for $60.

They are SVC 4 ohms at 800W Max and 400W RMS.

Just wanted to know what you guys thought. I know they're disc ontinued and I thought I got a good deal on them, seeing as where you CAN still buy them, they're avg. 50 each. I know they're "cheap".

When I wired them up to my amp, they actually performed better than my Kicker 10C124's. In my testing process, I wired them up in different combinations in parallel and series on my 2ch 2ohm stable Pioner amp.

Combination 1:

Parallel

Ch1: Kenwoods

Ch2: Kickers

Combination 2: Above, flipped

Combination 3:

Parallel

Ch1: 1 Kicker + 1 Kenwood

Ch2: 1 Kicker + 1 Kenwood

Again, I repeated these combinations in series as well.

In the end, no matter what I did, the Kenwoods out-performed the kickers and also do so on paper, but I wasn't too sure, seeing as they were used. This is in terms of loudness, and heat. The kickers would be warm to the touch, whereas the kenwoods wouldn't even have a change in noticable temperature. I honestly think that, despite some scratches on the basket and such, I got a fair deal. Now I need a bigger amp :D

Just wanted to share this with you guys. Any thoughts?

The amp I used was just a Pioneer 760W amp (THe kickers, together were only 600 Peak, so I just grabbed this for them).

BASS MEKANIK RECORDS

"Audio Implosion" & "SubSonic Guillotine" available anywhere digital music is sold!

2007 Ford Focus

(NOTE: My cousin's build I helped him with)

Pioneer H/U

(4) Absolute Dome Tweeters on A & C pillars

Scosche HD683A's in front doors

Fosgate R168x2's in rear doors

SoundQubed HDS312 in custom 2.57 Ft^3 @ 30Hz

Audiopipe APCL-1800.1D

Q-Mat

Audio Technix 0 Gauge

119aH/850CCA Marine Deep Cycle batteries

YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DWRhythm

Sounds like a great deal if the subs are in good condition. :)

I've had lots of success used myself.. Helps to know what the previous owner was using for an amp and peeking at their settings on it.

What's the box tuned to?

Edit: I have pissed off the Bestbuy people many times playing around with their sub section in car audio :P. I go there every once in a while to push their equipment to the limits.

I have put a 500 RMS amp on the 300 RMS Kickers and was NOT impressed at all... They started distorting with little excursion and very small bass. I tried turning up the Dual Square Kickers they had but before I got em cranked on 1000 RMS the guy got pissed and changed the settings all around on the deck... I had the speakers off and the sub up lol. Over the times I've tried all their subs, and wasn't impressed by any of them except the square ones. Even then it's hard to tell because they are in a store and weren't cranked.

Anywho, feed the Kenwoods 800-900 RMS and they should sound real nice depending on the box. :)

Edited by jmander11

Yeah, thought about getting my hands on a KAC-9105D or something similar. Maybe not quite as strong. The box is a cheesy pre-guilt box with just a big port in the middle of the box firing the same direction as the subs. It looks like it was tampered with, but it's better than the box my Kickers were in. Doesn't look as nice, but it's bigger.

Anyways. I will be doing amp homework. I'm ciruous as to what these things can do. RIght now, I gotta wait on the car to come back from the shop... They're goin to be in a trunk...

BASS MEKANIK RECORDS

"Audio Implosion" & "SubSonic Guillotine" available anywhere digital music is sold!

2007 Ford Focus

(NOTE: My cousin's build I helped him with)

Pioneer H/U

(4) Absolute Dome Tweeters on A & C pillars

Scosche HD683A's in front doors

Fosgate R168x2's in rear doors

SoundQubed HDS312 in custom 2.57 Ft^3 @ 30Hz

Audiopipe APCL-1800.1D

Q-Mat

Audio Technix 0 Gauge

119aH/850CCA Marine Deep Cycle batteries

YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DWRhythm