Sundown Audio

Enclosure volume/port area/port volume question?

Should I calculate port area at the net volume(which would be after port volume and woofer volume)? I'm current designing my box for my 4 SA8's, and while calculating the actual box volume after port displacement and woofer displacement, I started to wonder if I should be calculating the port area to the box gross or net?

To put that in perspective, 4 SA8s displace .4 ft3, two ports(3.5x7.5x28) displace 1.2 ft3. That drops your enclosures volume from 4 cubes to 2.6 cubes(which close to the .6 per sub recommended). So do you calculate area for the 4 cubes or the 2.6? Is 52.50 too much for 2.6 net? Its good for the 4 cubes gross? Or do I simply add everything together based off the net volume needed and shoot for the gross volume when I design my box?

• 4 weeks later...

As long as you know how to solve for Fb, you can play around with your box to check tuning rather than dealing with vent length volume offsets. That's what I do anyways.

And Jason, many of these guys rely on large port area. Not sure why it's a "rule of thumb" because every setup is different. My clamshell in the cruiser had about 5sq/cu and did 156 with windows down. My Jeep has about 20sq/cu and I play down to 7hZ safely. Both were designed to do just those things.

It may require trial and error though. Sometimes things only look good on paper.

Need an install? Hit me up.
[email protected]

Got car audio questions? Check here first!
Everything you need to know. =]

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/83029-everything-you-need-to-know/