Sonic Electronix

okay, like the title says, i've been trying to figure out how to make a passive crossover for a while now, and this shit is confusing.

i've read just about every website there is (i will gladly list them upon request) and it's gotten me a foundation, but the further i read into the article, the more foreign the language is.

i'm trying to build my own floorstanding speakers. i'm probably going to use 4 drivers (3 woofers and a tweeter) unless otherwise convinced, however, it would be nice to know how to do a 3 driver setup as well.

here's basically what i'm having difficulty with:

-How do you figure out what ohm load the amplifier will see? one article tells me that a crossover will be minimal and for practical purposes can be ignored. another article tells me

The crossover allows you to place two 8 ohm speakers in parallel, one for the highs and one for the lows, and still present an 8 ohm, not a 4 ohm load to the amplifier

i believe resistors are responsible for this, but i would like to know how to determine the value of the resistor in order to do this, as well as where to place it in the circuit.

-what the hell is an L-pad and a zobel filter? i think they have something to do with flattening the impedance over the frequency range, which almost sounds too good to be true. also read in an article that this may be hard on amplifiers due to the lower resistance.

-how do you match drivers and determine a crossover frequency? is it personal preference (with certain guidelines) or is there an exact science behind it? i understand that you design it such that when one speakers effective frequency drops off and the other one picks up is where you want to set the crossover frequency but those numbers aren't very clear cut.

-which type of filter (i.e linkwitz-riley, butterwort, or bessel) would eliminate "peaking" at the crossover frequency? personal preference?

i'm pretty sure a second order crossover network with a 12db octave is pretty appropriate. but i'm open to suggestions from someone with a higher knowledge than me.

lastly if there's one big calculator that takes into account all the values and tells me what components i need and tells me where they go in a schematic, that would be perfect.

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

uno

dos

tres

a few of the articles i've been reading. unfortunately none of them are translated very well

happy reading!

Just say no to Ground Pounder Customs.

More box builds

some cars do over 170db with one sub, so clearly my two 12"s can do that in my car, with my knowledge too! look out bitches!

I'm with captain stupid.

Archived