This is going in my 1995 Chevy. I need something i can take out if someone ever sits in the middle. I didn't buy one because well... i can make one :D Im 15 years old and i'm trying to learn to build things on my own. I'm getting really into fiberglass. This will be my second fiber glass project. I want 2 cup holders and a little space to throw my phone, loose change etc. Enough chit chat, here is my project.

My Truck (My Everything)

106_0022.jpg

First i made a template to make sure everything would fit. Measure twice cut once ;)

000_0005.jpg

Look at that! Perfect fit!!

000_0006.jpg

Then i traced the template pieces on to thin veneer like wood. I figured i didn't need super heavy duty wood since i was just making a console.

000_0007.jpg

Next I used the jig saw to cut out the pieces.

000_0009.jpg

I didn't notice until after but on the other side of the side i was cutting there was a huge chip out of it.. Nothing some Bondo can't fix (;

The pieces were almost identical to each other but not quite. To fix this i held the pieces together and used a drum sander on the Dremel to go around the pieces and make them identical.

000_0010.jpg

Here are the pieces. (:

106_0098.jpg

Here they are glued. I used my dads clamps to hold them together. I put the dowel in because the wood is so thin the clamps themselves cant keep them straight. I'm hoping to take the dowel out when the project is finished. If not oh well!

106_0099.jpg

I am going to cut a back piece for it tomorrow. I COULD probably do the whole thing out of wood but i want to practice more fiberglassing. I really enjoy doing it. So the top will be wrapped in fleece and then fiberglassed. I did run into a problem.. I have a router but no circle jig.. I don't have the money to buy one. How do i make cup holders?? Thanks for looking! I will keep the updates coming.

My Truck Build
sigpic2503_3.gif
Spending money on things I don't need, to impress others I don't know.
At the end of the day for me its about the love of customizing anything and everything to limits or even past reasonable.-SkyHighCarAudio

loks good and good idea.....& u could always fiberglass cup holders

1995 Honda passport 3.2 4x4 Frankenstein on a budget

ballistics sound deader (roof only so far)

kenwood mp3 usb

audio control 3 (upgrading)

hifonics mx-3

3 sets of massive px5 5.25s

3 sets of massive tweets

phonix gold 5.25 componets

x2 massive nx4 nano 200x4 mids

sony xplod 600x4 watt high's

2 Fi bl fully loaded box walled @31ish hz

13.2 cube box/wall

massive DB8000

Excessive amaperge 250 amp alt wir extrnl regulator

daul runs of xs power xpflex 0 gauge

big 3

raptor 0 gauge power/ground wire full run

suriken 45 amp hour x3 shriken bt-120 batts,interstate 1100CA semi batt

scytek galaxy 2way alarm

still upgradeing!

loks good and good idea.....& u could always fiberglass cup holders

How would i get it to be a perfect circle tho?? And thanks man!!

My Truck Build
sigpic2503_3.gif
At the end of the day for me its about the love of customizing anything and everything to limits or even past reasonable.-SkyHighCarAudio

Nice truck! Tuned in for the project :)

Thanks man! i Read ur build yesterday!! haha

My Truck Build
sigpic2503_3.gif

looking good so far i like to work with no shoes to lol

Haha thats how we roll man! Thanks for compliment.

My Truck Build
sigpic2503_3.gif

Okay here is today's progress. I took way more pictures and i can not find them anywhere. I'm kinda pissed about it. Anyways the first thing i did was bondo the busted corner. No pic :/

Next i cut pieces for the tray and glued them together.

106_0100.jpg

While those were drying i went to the gas station and bought me a drink. I took two cups because, well, i needed two molds.

106_0101.jpg

I cut the cup to the depth i wanted the holder to sit.

106_0102.jpg

I used Elmer's spray adhesive and glued a piece of an old shirt in it.. I had it perfectly shaped. Then i mixed up some resin and pored it into the cup, making sure all the fabric was saturated.

106_0103.jpg

While that dried i cut me some dowels with the dremel so i could hold the tray in the air while i glassed around it.

106_0104.jpg

While i was cutting the glue gun was heating up and by the time i was done i was ready to GLUE! The tray will be flush with the top of the console. I made sure the dowels were glued in the right place so i had room for the cup holders.

106_0106.jpg

I measured where i wanted the tray and glued it down.

106_0107.jpg

When i did that i thought DAMN! I forgot to make a bottom piece for the tray. I think i lost the pictures of that but u get the point. I ripped off the glue made a bottom and glued it in.

Next i made a front and a back piece and glued them in. Only the top will be fiberglassed and the hump will have an MTX logo (: If this console was permanent i would do a sheet of plexi glass with the Mtx logo and back light it with blue LED's.

106_0110.jpg

Here is another test fit (: It works!! Perfect! It looks crooked but its not.. the hump on the floor is unlevel.. I will be the only one that notices it tho. Little stuff bugs me.

106_0108.jpg

The resin in the cup holder dried... it looked terrible and really wouldnt work. Im out of ideas for the cup holders! Please anyone give me ideas.. I thought about Big PVC pipe but i dont really want to buy a huge piece for ten inches of it.. Any ideas please!! Let me know what you think of the build! Not bad for being done with a jig saw in my opinion (:

My Truck Build
sigpic2503_3.gif

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

LOVE the Truck! Very nice. Cool Idea on the console.

Let's see if these 2 links work:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=cup+holder&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=NgI&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1920&bih=1029&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=15792228156440641810&sa=X&ei=D4qbTo7HB4mrsQLzkeHvBA&ved=0CIQBEPMCMAA

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=cup+holder&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=NgI&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1920&bih=1029&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=14922204937508242888&sa=X&ei=D4qbTo7HB4mrsQLzkeHvBA&ved=0CJ8BEPICMAU

Maybe you could find some holders like these at Wal-Mart, Target, AutoZone, etc... If they have a lip on the outside, you could cut a hole just a bit smaller where you could drop these in. Then glue or affix it somehow from underneath.

Good Luck on your Console!

Thanks man!!

My Truck Build
sigpic2503_3.gif

Archived