Sonic Electronix

I've got a pair of PolkAudio dxi6500 components in the doors and a PolkAudio pa660 amp powering them(a long with some 4x6 Polk's in the rear pillars + Kicker 6" in the rear doors.

So far I've blown a tweeter twice & was told that it's because of the amp. Today I went to a local shop and they commented on the amp runnibg a bit hot but said that the amp is fine and recommended I upgrade the components instead.

I thought it was the amp and was going to change it out but now that these guys are saying differently I don't know what I should do. What do you guys think?

I've got a pair of PolkAudio dxi6500 components in the doors and a PolkAudio pa660 amp powering them(a long with some 4x6 Polk's in the rear pillars + Kicker 6" in the rear doors.

So far I've blown a tweeter twice & was told that it's because of the amp. Today I went to a local shop and they commented on the amp runnibg a bit hot but said that the amp is fine and recommended I upgrade the components instead.

I thought it was the amp and was going to change it out but now that these guys are saying differently I don't know what I should do. What do you guys think?

If its running hot check grounds and make sure you have proper airflow to cool it down. and for the tweets do they have a inline crossover? I blew my first set cause I had the bass on the headunit almost all the way up.

Edited by DK99

Hi SMD Members If anybody has computer problems and is an SMD member with at least 150 posts I will fix your problems for free by phone support or I can also fix your computer over the internet.... I have references such as All State insurance, Nationwide Insurance and much more... just p.m me for help.. I am not the greatest with when it comes to audio systems so I figured I could contribute to the forum this way.... Thanks David

If its running hot check grounds and make sure you have proper airflow to cool it down. and for the tweets do they have a inline crossover? I blew my first set cause I had the bass on the headunit almost all the way up.

yes on the crossover and I made sure to turn the bass all the way down on the amp as the bass is being handled by the Kicker dx500.1 in the rear going to the 2x12 Kicker comps.

yes on the crossover and I made sure to turn the bass all the way down on the amp as the bass is being handled by the Kicker dx500.1 in the rear going to the 2x12 Kicker comps.

Even if the bass is turned down On the high amp if you have bass coming from you're stereo it could blow the tweeters

So each tweet has it's own inline crossover?

Grounds for amp are properly done?

speakers are hooked up correctly?

and good airflow for the amp?

Edited by DK99

Hi SMD Members If anybody has computer problems and is an SMD member with at least 150 posts I will fix your problems for free by phone support or I can also fix your computer over the internet.... I have references such as All State insurance, Nationwide Insurance and much more... just p.m me for help.. I am not the greatest with when it comes to audio systems so I figured I could contribute to the forum this way.... Thanks David

Even if the bass is turned down On the high amp if you have bass coming from you're stereo it could blow the tweeters

So each tweet has it's own inline crossover?

Grounds for amp are properly done?

speakers are hooked up correctly?

and good airflow for the amp?

yes on all that except that the amp is on the floor in the middle(left-side) of the van. although granted the floor.is generally a 'cool' area.

on the stereo I have "bass level" set to +/-0 and under "subwoofer" it's set to + 10.

yes on all that except that the amp is on the floor in the middle(left-side) of the van. although granted the floor.is generally a 'cool' area.

on the stereo I have "bass level" set to +/-0 and under "subwoofer" it's set to + 10.

So if you have a RCA pre out for the sub do you also have an RCA pre out for the highs... If you don't have 2 runs of rca's from the stereo to the back I would turn down the subwoofer setting and see if it happens again.

Anybody else want to add

set your eq to flat get a dd-1 adjust your amps and your good to go. make sure to follow what DK 99 said and your done.

Build Under Construction

Head Unit = Kenwood DDX514

Amps = Kicker 750.1, Going to install Sundown 1500D v3 and Sundown 125.4

Battery = XS D3400

Wires = Kicker RCA's, 0 Gauge street wire and Stinger

Mids and Highs = Stock

Sub= Kicker L7 12"

Alternator = 220 Mechman

Sound Deadner= Fatmat and Stinger Road Kill

set your eq to flat get a dd-1 adjust your amps and your good to go. make sure to follow what DK 99 said and your done.

ok I set bass/subwoofer to 0 and drove around for like 30min with the volume at 35(highest my Alpine receiver goes to). Everything seemed to play fine just that occassionally if a song had some intense high's i'd hear really slight distortion just on those parts.

ok I set bass/sub woofer to 0 and drove around for like 30min with the volume at 35(highest my Alpine receiver goes to). Everything seemed to play fine just that occasionally if a song had some intense high's I'd hear really slight distortion just on those parts.

Ok don't turn your head unit all the way up because it will clip the signal Im not sure what head unit you have but I would keep the volume at like 5 under the highest. If you can get a DD-1 or a O'Scope to test you're signal and see where it clips or distorts

Ok don't turn your head unit all the way up because it will clip the signal Im not sure what head unit you have but I would keep the volume at like 5 under the highest. If you can get a DD-1 or a O'Scope to test you're signal and see where it clips or distorts

would the clipping/distortion be caused due to the speakers not being able to handle it? the amp? not properly adjusted? I'm intent on upgrading something anyway. have money I'm supposed to use to buy a new cell phone but would rather it go into my car audio setup. ;)

Edited by voxigenboy