Second Skin Audio

3.6 or 4.1 cubes enough for a 18 BL

ok so i havent been on here in a while, but i had mazdaspl design me a box a long time ago and he kinda messed up on my 4 18 design port up. The way he did it they are only seeing like 3 cubes per woofer. The subs are 4 18s FI BLs off one t4k soon to be 2 t4ks runnin at 2 ohms. thing is im sure im choking the shit otta them now. Me and him talked for a bit last night and figured out a new box design but the thing is if i use slot port on bottom i can only get like 3.6 cubes per woofer and 4.1 cubes if i use aeros. The thing is aeros are costly and i have already built 2 boxes that have cost me alot. First box was just 3 18s and sound way better, than with the 4 in my new box port up. So basicly im just wondering if anyone has ran these woofers with that kind of space. There in a 04 explorer. My MAX dimensions are 23 high, 45 wide and 37 long. That and to get 3.6 or a little more cubes i would have to run one baffle but just double up on internal bracing. Idk thinkin i should just sell the one 18 and go back to the 3. But i really want to build a new box just to see what it would sound like port back instead of up. I mean its trial and error to see what works. Bad part is i should have tested my box that i have now with the 4 before i wrapped it and did alot of fiberglassing cuz now im going to have to throw away the box and be out like 400 or so bucks.

here is my box that i have now

Budsnewbox33hz1.jpg

here is a pic of before i wrapped it when i was doing resign 45s and fiber glassing.

101_0197.jpg

Try doing subs up port back. Seems to work best in SUV's

the thing is is 3.6 going to be enough space. FIs web says like 5 cubes. I know im going to over powering them a bit but not to much since im going to run the two t4ks at 2 ohms, and when you do that you kinda want a smaller box but 3.6 is small ya know. Thats like for a 15 maybe. Right now im at 3 cu's per and to me it sounds like shit idk if its cuz i went port up or what.

Yes when I designed this box for Bud back then I should have known alot better not to try and get 4 18's in that small of space.. I have felt really bad that he spent his hard earned money and time to make a great box that turned out to be very disappointing.. I know that I will help make this right for him.. We are in talks now to see what will work best for him for the space his has to work with.. I would like to see him happy with this next design for sure...:yahoo: I know I have came along way in my designing skills and figures to know not to make more stupid mistakes that cost people wasted time and money..

Jay

I would suggest going with 3 subs unless you want to spend tons of money on AEROS.. I just played around with my box building program and a SLOT PORT is just going to rob too much valuable air space to get any kind of PORT AREA out of it. If I can help in any other way let me know.

yeah i think for aeros its like 200 for all of them. idk thinkin i should just stick to the 3 but im prob going to try another port back with the 4 and see what it sounds like. i guess ill have to experiment. This is what i was afraid was going to happen. So there was no possibly way with slot? how many cubes did you come up with? I think if i actually had to i could go 24 high instead of 23. But what size wood were you using and double baffle? idk just tryin to get as much space as possible.