Second Skin Audio

Port Too Big For Box

marknotts

Hi there,

I want to build a vented box for 2 Splinter sound RL-i8's which needs to be around 0.6 cubes for both. The only problem is, my port calculation program is telling me that due to the high xmax, for 35hz tuning I need a minimum diameter of 6.53 inches and 117inches long!!! Not practical! If I use 4" OD tube I'm getting around 37" which is still too long for the small box really.

Should I use an even smaller port tube? but wont this cause turbulence and noise? or make the box bigger (not sure what effect this will have on power handling and SQ etc) or just tune higher?

Will a flared port help in reducing turbulence and noise, such as an aeroport?

Guest MegaloManiac

You are using 8" subs. to tune low(in small box) the port would have to be long. I contemplated on using an rli8 as well. I discovered to get a decent tuning youd have(not necessarly but more than likely) to use external ports if used aeoroports.

the port would have to be 43.15" long for a tuning of 25hz but it be actually 44.15" long with the flares. (btw these numbers are for a single 4" precision Port)

Try changing the dimensions of the port.

I think whatever the dimensions are, a certain area still needs a certain length. The only way I can come up with a smaller lenght is to use a smaller cross sectional area which I think will cause turbulence and noise?

Or use a larger box or tune higher???????

Archived