Second Skin Audio

3 Old School Solobaric 15s in a BANDPASS box???

AmericanLegend

A friend asked me to build a box for him as a tribute to the old school. We were talking about how, back in the day, our amps only had 900 rms watts or so, but would slam the hell out of two 15s. Now, amps can make 8k watts or more and have super heavy subs to match them.

A long story short, my buddy has some surprisingly mint old school gear that he wants in his new car, a 2010 Chevy Impala. He has

4 Old School Kicker Solobaric 15 C4s,

two Hifonics Zeus amps,

One Hifonics Europa (?),

One Crazy A** Installer

The new car has a pretty big trunk, but the back seats do not fold down, nor is there an access hole. There is, however, a square hole already cut into the factory deck. This is giving me the idea of possibly running 3 of the 15s in a huge 4th order bandpass enclosure vented through that hole area.

The Solobaric 15 were intended to be an isobaric type speaker in one (double mass, double motor, half the box), but I was wondering whether anyone has actually put one in a bandpass box. That is, the required 1.5 cubic feet sealed on the back side, with a combined 6.75 or so cubic feet ported on the front side. I would use a 10 inch round port (about 11 inches long) molded into the back deck.

This brings us to my question. I haven't found the manual for them yet, but if I recall correctly, these subs specifically call for a sealed box of around 1.5 cubic feet or so, which is small as hell for a 15 that plays DEEP bass. If I give them the required sealed volume on one side, will the subs care what i do with the front wave? In other words, will these subs destroy themselves in a bandpass box?

Archived