Sonic Electronix

i was just wondering what everyone thinks is better 2 channel or monoblock? ive hear 2 channels are for more controlled bass for SQ and monoblocks are "sloppy"bass but they draw less power? so whats the real story

2v27cjs.png

Jeffrey Ribeiro

Co-Founder

Gold Leaf Consultants

E: [email protected]

www.GoldLeafConsultants.com

CA refs: abdulwq, jordyo,sgdenny,shinju, bannok

SMD refs: Assman, zfrerichs, shinju, Loganberry

CCA refs: jordyo, SR SQ, nothing13, Mat-Romain, JohnnyRock1588, Brandon, KingRukus, SPDDMON, BlitzSix

CA feedback thread

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.p...384#post5068384

i was just wondering what everyone thinks is better 2 channel or monoblock? ive hear 2 channels are for more controlled bass for SQ and monoblocks are "sloppy"bass but they draw less power? so whats the real story

i can give you my side of the story. i'd rather use a 2 channel for highs and mids and use that mono for subs only. a mono amp had no HP filter only a LP so it plays more effiently for you subs.

2-DC 15XLM2 D.7s

1-DC 5K amp

(1) XS Power D6500(UNDERHOOD) and (1) XS3000(REAR)

3 runs 1/0ga for power and 2 runs of 1/0ga for negative.

(2)-RFT165s components, ...... 4 separate 1 inch tweetersRF T600-2(fronts) Punch 450.4(rear)

Audiocontrol 3.1.

DC power 260amp alternator w/MLA Module

Most, nearly all, 2 channel amplifiers are class A/B or for higher powered applications, class H. These 'analogue' power amplification topologies offer high slew rates, great response and usually a good damping factor. Most monoblock amplifiers are Class D, or Pulse Width Modulation (PWM). This offers low damping factor (the amplifier's ability to control cone movement at full rest), significantly higher distortion figures yet yields insane amounts of power and great power efficiency.

The 'sloppy' bass comes from a low damping factor where the amplifier simply cannot control the cone enough. A good amplifier will have a damping factor of <350. A great amplifier, like the PV3800, yields a <600 damping factor. An amazing amplifier, like the Crown MacroTech MA5002VZ offers <2000.

For pure tone, a Class A, A/B or H amplifier is the answer, no question. For greater than a few kw, Class D or TD is the only solution.

Cheers,

Mick

Work;
DiGiCo D1 Live / MIDAS Heratige 1000 / MIDAS Venice
Meyer Sound CQ-1's, CQ-2's, PSW-2's
RAMSA Monitor Amplifiers
P.Audio Monitors
BSS OMNIDRIVE and Soundweb
DBX 231 and Klark Teknik DN360 EQ's
RCF TT22A
RCF ART320

Archived