I am doing it the same "ghetto" way, which is fine as long as you're careful.

Most Home Audio recievers, be it a Boom box/shelf system or Higher end rack mount component are rated between 6-12ohms, not usually meant to be driven into lower impedences like car audio.

I have an AIWA shelf system that is 300watts total for all the speakers. The nice part about a shelf system is it's all self contained and "all in one" rather than needing a radio reciever, cd player, tape decks, amp for highs, amp for lows, etc. The downside is just like a car audio setup-when they combine components (i.e. tuner/reciever+power+cd player) the quality of each is sacrificed.

That said-the easiest way to go about it is find yourself as high-powered shelf setup/boom box that you can, and make sure it has line level outputs to its speakers. Line level just means raw wire for pos+ and neg- so you can run you own speakers w/ out having to dissect the Home audio style RCA's.

On my Aiwa it has rca's for the mids and surround speakers so I just left those as they were and the mids get plenty loud but the crappy 7" subs that are built into the 3 way boom box speakers suck balls so I ran the wires for those to a pair of Kicker Comp VR 12's. Normally those 2 sub channels are 80watts rms at 6-ohms each, but since I have them hooked up to 4 ohm subs (one per channel), each sub should be seeing about 100rms each and they get SILLY loud for only 2 12's. They are however in the confined space of my bedroom.

Hope that helped how this kinda setup runs.

Nice lookin box Gmonk.

Gotta love that fleckstone finish.

you got a pic of how you did that? ran those wires from out the speaker box? i have AIWA system too for my computer, here is the pic, i want to put subs in place of those....

P5300165.jpg

there are 4 speakers, i think 2 are tweaters and the other two is like mid and mid/sub but dont think that would really work out for me, even if i ran wires from both mids to a dual coil sub

06 SCION tC