Second Skin Audio

So today my friend showed me his 2 12" MTx terminators that i sold him (brand new). They are in a sealed box with a kenwood amp i (forget what kind). He got it all installed MAYBE a week ago. I told him they need to break in so he kept them low, and has been very happy with them. They were working perfectly up until today. Before we went to lunch they worked fine, but a few hours later when we came back he turned them on and a terrible noise was coming out of them. It sounded like the cone has seperated from the basket (if even possible)... When i pushed on the subs they were still stiff. But when i pushed it would reach a point then basically make a pop feeling if that makes sense. I did this to BOTH subs and they did the same. I could here the air pushed out in the box but they felt weird when i pushed on them. We turned off the car and disconnected them. Then reconnected and turned the car back on, no change. They are in a sealed box and we didnt take them out to check. But if anyone can help me out and tell me what you think it is? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

The spot with least resistance LOL.

I would ground to a rubber dildo if it had less resistance than a run of 4/0 wiring.

how many poeple work there 3 or 4 lol

At crescendo HQ? probably 2-3

At the sweatshop in china? 30,000 children

No Engine

I've never seen or heard of this before, might wanna start by pulling them out of the box and inspect the spiders and the cones. If it's a sealed box you shouldn't be hearing any air escaping. Possible that the cone/dustcaps got loose.

2001 Blazer ~ (2) 10" DC lvl 4's, Orion 2500d 148.9db

2005 Astro ~ (2) 18" DC XL's, Atomic 5000.1 153.9 db

New England SPL

NESPL - YouTube

I've never seen or heard of this before, might wanna start by pulling them out of the box and inspect the spiders and the cones. If it's a sealed box you shouldn't be hearing any air escaping. Possible that the cone/dustcaps got loose.

You know when you push on a sub and it makes a "whoosh" sound? That what they did. And everytime i pushed in it felt like they popped and made a popping noise. But yeah thats what i was thinking, how do you tighten them back on?

I would ground to a rubber dildo if it had less resistance than a run of 4/0 wiring.

No Engine

If a cone or dustcap has become loose you can usually glue them back on, GOOP works great.

Ill have to take them out, and check. What should i look for?

No Engine

Gotta look and see if the cone has separated from the basket, or if the dustcap has separated from the cone. Might look to see if the spiders have become loose from the basket too, but thats doubtful. If something is loose it's most likely the dustcap.

New England SPL

NESPL - YouTube

Gotta look and see if the cone has separated from the basket, or if the dustcap has separated from the cone. Might look to see if the spiders have become loose from the basket too, but thats doubtful. If something is loose it's most likely the dustcap.

And if loose, just glue em?

No Engine

yeah, put the glue under them and glue them back in place. You might want to place something with a little weight on them to keep the glue and the cone/dustcap tight while the glue hardens overnight.

New England SPL

NESPL - YouTube

Actually...this sounds like what my sub woofers did when I blew out the spiders...it starts off as a small crack in the spider..you'd know that if you took them out of the box. They'd look something like this..

dsc0078ia.th.jpg

Although like SPL is mention, it could be the dust cap.

Btw I used to own a pair of MTX terminators...very nice subs =)

Sold and installed it in my buddies' car.

dsc0129gw.jpg

New build coming soon. [center][url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/3/sigtoo.jpg/"][img]http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/9541/sigtoo.jpg[/img][/url][/center]

i agree with the help on here most likely itll be something easily noticable but if not get a nice bright flashlight and try to look as much into the motor as you can ive seen weird shit getting sucked into open vents. but ive never touched anything mtx accept their thunder line. :shrug: goodluck :drinks: